Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Slab desk build

Blog Entries
    I'd leave a lot of the sap if you are building a split top....which would also be fantastic. People object to the notion of a split top, but rarely to the reality of it.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

If you flip one of the halves of the top end for end would the bevels not match up better for gluing while losing less material or would this completly destroy the look with the grain match?

Just me, but last thing I would want for a desk top is a big ol split down the center. I think that would be a huge annoyance. Even the live edge. Is this really what your customer wants?

Blog Entries
    What's the practical disadvantage of a split top? I've built the split top and have not found a true disadvantage, but sometimes people offer the insight that things may fall through the split....this seems ridiculous as things can always fall somewhere.

Practical advantage on a desk is that you can run computer wiring down the split for chargers and the like.

I agree with you Brian. I think it's actually more functional with a split top, and certainly more respectful of the natural wood movement. Unfortunately, my customer wants it solid. So, solid it shall be. I have cut-offs from this project that will become a split top table for myself.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I agree with you Brian. I think it's actually more functional with a split top, and certainly more respectful of the natural wood movement. Unfortunately, my customer wants it solid. So, solid it shall be. I have cut-offs from this project that will become a split top table for myself.
    I'm sure it will be gorgeous in either case. I'm also looking forward to the one you build for yourself, much like the architect's own house, I'm sure it will include more of what people would consider to be risks.

7. I think a split top depends on how you use your computer. I have 3 monitors, mice, keyboards, my drink, headphones, a printer, and all sorts of clutter. The things move around as I work/play, and a gap where a monitor base, a keyboard leg, a mouse or headphones could fall down wouldn't be what I would personally want. Make it a dining table and I'm all for a split top, since I don't spend long hours at the dining table.

Running wires down the middle of a table isn't exactly the best use of space, either.

Glued Up

I glued up over the last couple days. I prefer to do it in sections, a seam at a time. Takes longer but I sweat less.

I used TBIII.

After ripping and surfacing each board, the right slab's boards were cupped relative to the left two. Had I slip matched them, everything would have lined up perfectly. The cup was not too bad, about 1/4" over the whole length. I flattened each side a little more to remove some of the discrepancy. Then I glued up the center two boards (where the discrepancy manifests) using cauls. As we'd expect, the resultant glue up had some minor (but not too bad) twist. After I got the outer boards on, however, the cup and twist has all but disappeared.

I was pleasantly surprised that the outer, live edges were relatively vertical, so I didn't have to make angled cauls. I didn't bother using clamping pads, so there was some crushing, but these edges will be eased anyway, so it doesn't concern me.

My jointing must have been acceptable, because the surface is pretty flat off the clamps.

I have to give a shout out to an unsung hero of this and projects past: A throwaway find block plane. It's missing the knob, and I've not found this style or angle useful for regular work. The blade looks like it was used to open cans by someone. I've sharpened it probably twice in 4 years. However, it is BRILLIANT at knocking down glue squeeze out. I shave down the dried glue nibs until it starts feeling wood, and then switch to a scraper or 'real' plane. If you have a beater plane that's gathering dust on the shelf, I highly recommend giving it a job so it can have some dignity. This plane is the Footman in my Downtown Abbey.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 03-25-2015 at 1:01 PM.

That really does look good. You have made great use of the raw material. Beautiful!

Looking to build one of these very soon. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Wow Prashun, I need to apologize for not visiting this side of the forum often enough. I almost missed this. LOVE the wood! I was going to suggest a dovetailed key in that split, but it seems you have already made smaller boards out of it. This is the same delimma I have when I buy huge slabs of figured mahogany. I feel like I am committing murder every time I saw into one. I eventually want to build something like this with one big large top that highlights the wood without wasting any of it.

I laughed at the espresso stain comment. This is exactly why I don't do custom work and if I sell something then it is something I built the way I wanted, and then someone decided to buy it. Sometimes, however, the challenge of meeting a customer's demands and still creating a beautiful piece can actually add to the joy of a project if you're like me and enjoy a challenge.

Will follow this build. Keep us posted.

Malcolm, There you are!!! Been checking your chair thread but no news since a few weeks. Where's it at?

I too prefer to make first and then sell. It's a luxury of the otherwise-employed.

Of course, that strategy means I have ended up with a house full of unsold furniture with a face that only a mother could love.

Let's meet over a cup of espresso and commiserate ironically about staining wood.

Mama.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 03-25-2015 at 2:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    Yes, about that chair.... Ummmm.... long story. Here's the short version: We were flying to MEM and they were supposed to get weather. I called my sister-in-law and said I am not bringing the chair because I know we are going to get stranded, and I do not want the chair bouncing around somewhere on a snowy ramp and miss the flight and never return. Guess what- we did get stranded in North Carolina, spent a whole extra day travelling, and thank goodness we did not bring the chair, because the car seat that we checked did bounce around the ramp, and if they had treated the chair as they did the car seat, I am sure it would have been toast.

So since I knew I was not taking it, I said let me take my time finishing it. I did major in procrastination in college, and did very well at it.

As for the expresso, just as long as we don't spilll it on any lovely natural wood, I'm in!

Question for you guys:

The customer wants this 'desk' to be 36" tall. She wants large panel sides, and has an aversion to a lower stretcher or visible upper stretcher.

The legs are 36" tall x 19" wide x 1.75" thick.

If I use only upper stretchers on this top (recall, 60"x33"x2") then do you think I'll be ok with two 6"x1" upper stretchers?

Blog Entries
    The top is coming along nicely, great job on the glue up.