Thread: Need Recommendation on Laser Level

Need Recommendation on Laser Level

I have to do some work where I'll need a level line across a wall. I know of those laser cross or rotating levels (like this) but I don't know which one is a good one.

I don't want to spend $500 on one - I don't use it that much. I'd prefer to stay under $200. And I only plan to use it indoors so a lower power one will probably work for me.

What would you recommend?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    I have a DeWalt DW087k, bought it to install kitchen cabinets. Works great.
    - Mike

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Lots of different types. Can you be a bit more specific for your planned uses?

A first (or only) unit for DIY use will probably be best served by a self leveling cross laser. Bosch has an excellent unit for about $100.

Do you need extremely wide line spread, like nearly 180 degrees? Do you need a plumb dot above or below the unit? Do you need something that will put a horizontal line just 1" above the floor? Do you need one that will draw a line just 1/2" from the ceiling? Do you have a camera tripod to use instead of buying a cheap laser with a junky tripod like the linked unit?

It is entirely possible that you won't know what you need until you have used one for awhile. In that case a good first, or only, unit for DIY use would be the Bosch GLL2-10

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    Lots of different types. Can you be a bit more specific for your planned uses?

A first (or only) unit for DIY use will probably be best served by a self leveling cross laser. Bosch has an excellent unit for about $100.

Do you need extremely wide line spread, like nearly 180 degrees? Do you need a plumb dot above or below the unit? Do you need something that will put a horizontal line just 1" above the floor? Do you need one that will draw a line just 1/2" from the ceiling? Do you have a camera tripod to use instead of buying a cheap laser with a junky tripod like the linked unit?

It is entirely possible that you won't know what you need until you have used one for awhile. In that case a good first, or only, unit for DIY use would be the Bosch GLL2-10
    I need to level up the top of some cabinets in my shop. I use the cabinets as infeed/outfeed for my miter saw. Right now, one cabinet is a bit too high and the whole sequence of cabinets is not level.

So what I want right now is a unit that will give me a straight and level laser line that I can adjust (shim) the cabinets to. The cabinets are too long to use a regular level - I tried that and I couldn't get them accurate enough. So I thought of the laser levels.

I found this one - a DeWalt DW088K - and it looks like one that will meet my needs today and be usable for future projects. Anyone know this unit? Or recommend another one?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I bought the Bosch cross hair one that was mentioned specifically to set cabinets and couldn't believe I ever set cabinets with out it. Very easy to see and had a pretty broad range side to side. One thing I have found is that cabinets are made pretty shoddily these days so you have to find a balance on how accurate you want to be because you can chase your tail all day long trying to get them perfect, only to find out the cabinet itself isn't flat or square and either is the one next to it.
    Last edited by keith micinski; 03-11-2015 at 10:15 PM.

I've got the DeWalt you've linked to. I've used it for multiple general tasks. It's worked great without making a significant investment. I use mine with a old cameral tripod.
    Wood'N'Scout

I bought a $400 3-axis Bosch off ebay and it was defective. Return was international and EXPENSIVE. I ended up with a 2-axis one from Menards for $100, self leveling, and it works great.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Mike (Henderson),
    I know several people that have the previous version of that Dewalt (087) and they all like it.

I have a very similar unit, the Bosch GLL2-50 which is around $30 more but is one of a very few that will put a horizontal line just 1" above the base, has a nicer micro adjust height setup, and has the best narrow line of all the sub $200 units.

Either one would be excellent and are a big step up from the $90 Bosch unit I mentioned first, which is probably OK for your needs.

That Dewalt is a favorite of people working with metal stud walls and working with acoustic ceilings as it comes with an attachment for that - at least the 087 did.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 03-11-2015 at 10:29 PM. Reason: a different Mike posted while I did and it was confusing who I was responding to

I've got a Stabila, if I were to do it again I'd get a PLS just for servicing. The stabila needs to go to Europe for repair, the PLS is somewhere on the west coast.

For what you're trying to do, I'd just run a string line. Level doesn't matter that much, you just needs everything on a plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    For what you're trying to do, I'd just run a string line. Level doesn't matter that much, you just needs everything on a plane.
    Good idea. I'll give it a try before I buy a laser.

Mike

Mike,

For under $100 I bought a self leveling Laser kit by Johnson.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Johnson-S...0921/202258059

Accurate and easy to use

I have had an Johnson 40-6650 for several years now and it's been a very good tool for me. I think they have a new version with a green Lasar that is supposed to be easier to see. The red is a little hard to see well in bright lighting but other then that it's been very good.
    Earl