Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jointer/Planer combo Mini-Max FS 350 - used price good ?

Jointer/Planer combo Mini-Max FS 350 - used price good ?

A local fellow has this 11 year old unit for sell for $1,000. I have not looked at it but picture looks like a clean, well cared for machine. He says it has "issues" vibration in the head, possibly bearings. It's not like I'm in dire need for a unit like this, my Dewalt 735 planer and Jet joiner take care of my needs as a hobby woodworker. But I'm tempted to go look at it, I know these are high quality machines and the space saving would be nice for my small shop. Not sure what can of worms the "vibration issue" would open. I don't have time to get into a long machine rebuilding project. What do you think, worth a look for a $1,000?

Definitely worth a look at that price.

But I would ask him if he will let you do a little diagnostic work before you agree to buy it...

Run it as is, and observe the vibration. Then remove the belt and run it without the cutter head spinning. See if the belt looks worn. If there's no vibration and the belt is fine, then it's either bearings (not the end of the world), or the cutterhead is somehow out of balance. Out of balance cutterhead might be a walk-away issue, whereas bearings aren't a huge deal.

If there's vibration with the belt removed, then something is wrong with the motor... also a potential walk-away issue.

If he bought the machine new and this issue emerged later, ask him if there were any catastrophic events that caused it, or if it just got worse slowly over time.

If he won't let you fidget with the machine at all, it's a question of risk...

But either way definitely worth a look. It would be a huge step up compared to what you have now.

It's a good price. I have the older model and it has the Byrd Shelix head. The machine's a beast. That model year used the Tersa head. The Mini Max FS 350 are about $6000 new, so if you can get it repaired for less than a total of $3000 it's a decent price. And even if the head was the problem, the Shelix head is less than $2000. Bearings or a head would be much cheaper. Anticipate the worst yet hope for the best. During that time frame, it should be the white and blue color scheme. Was it used in production or by a hobby user? Regardless, if it has some issues, plan on replacing all the bearings, which is an easy job if you have a modicum of mechanical ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aeschliman View Post
    Definitely worth a look at that price.

But I would ask him if he will let you do a little diagnostic work before you agree to buy it....
    .................................................. .....
    Don't do too much. If the seller figures out what's wrong he may decide to keep it.

5. I say grab it fast, at that price it won't last long. Buy the mortiser and bits that he has also. If it was about 8 hours closer to me I would already be on my way to get it, fix it and sell it. Funny, just a month ago I drove 24 hours round trip to pick up my Knapp saw/shaper in the same city that the Minimax is for sale. I don't want to do that drive again for awhile.

I was considering one used at $2000. I would do it if it's in good shape.

I have that machine and it's excellent. Even if you have you replace the head and to a Shylx that can be bought for $1300 or $1400. I'd grab it and fix it later.

Sounds like a great deal. I recently purchased the predecessor to that machine (FS35) used for $1000. The previous owner said it needed bearings. Turns out, the shaft had been worn beneath one of the bearings so the new bearings didn't initially fix the problem. Ended up knurling the shaft where it had been worn, which got rid of the vibration. It has been a great workhorse machine for me ever since.

Guys, thanks for all the input, a lot of good advice given here. I'm trying to make an appointment to look this machine over sometime this weekend.

At that price, it is likely gone already.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    At that price, it is likely gone already.
    This.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I went and looked at this machine this afternoon. This fellow had a very nice shop with nice clean equipment. He purchased this Mini-Max new and has only used it in his one person custom furniture building business. The vibration in the Tersa head is associated in the area of the outboard bearing. He said this problem developed once before and he replaced the bearings. Over time the vibration started reoccurring and so he just stop using the machine, going to sell it as is. I decided to pass on it. Although it doesn't really appear to be a big problem, I just don't feel that I have the skill level to tear it apart and make the repairs needed. My gut guess is wear on the end of the shaft is causing the vibration but who knows until it is torn down. Again, thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts.

I have taken that machine apart to bits and pieces to take to my basement shop. It is not too difficult to do so.
    To check the bearings, I'd remove the belt and rotate the head by hand and hear closely, if you hear any noise then the bearings are bad.

If it developed the vibration problem, the problem went away with new bearings, then the vibration came back it really sounds like the head is significantly out of balance enough to ruin the bearings. I would factor in the price of a new head into the price of the machine. I would have passed too!

Still a real opportunity for someone. Dave