Thread: Long cutting length router bit

Long cutting length router bit

I have a job where I need to cut approx. 60 corbels out of 3-1/2" thick white oak. What type of bit would work best for this and where would I get it?

Thanks
    Onsrud 145G12D 5x12 CNC router
    Homebuilt 4x8 CNC router
    Vytek FX5136 35watt Laser

I've never heard of anything that long. I'd use a pattern and bit on one side, then move the bearing and do the other side. A 2 inch pattern bit would do it.

I have a couple 3.5" straight shank router bits I bought a long time ago for pattern routing. Can't remember where I got them but I'm sure they would work fine in my CNC router if I ever need to use them.

I have some 5 inch long bits

I would think it would be better to do 2 sided machining. probably just as fast doing a profile cut around the part /waste material say .75 deep then do the corbel profile 1.75 deep. cut a jig pocket for the flipped for the corbel to fit into elseware on the table and cut the rest out. Should be able to write it as one program and do the flip while the other is cutting if spaced far enough apart to do it safely.Probably will give you a better cut since there wont be as much bit deflection. And cheaper bit cost, I would guess you are using a hefty diameter bit for this ? Dan

I have found that Amana has a 1/2" dia. bit that has a 3 1/2" cutting length. Have also found some spiral 3/4" dia. 3 1/2" bits also but they are expensive. Think I will try the Amana bit and see how it works. As Dan pointed out I could flip them but I would prefer not to if possible.
    Thanks for the help.
    Onsrud 145G12D 5x12 CNC router
    Homebuilt 4x8 CNC router
    Vytek FX5136 35watt Laser