Thread: Setting up a vari-grind jig

Setting up a vari-grind jig

I got a OneWay vari-grind for Christmas and I'm finally getting around to modifying my grinder station to accommodate it. I will be making my own sliding pivot point for the tool, and I can't find much info on how to position it relative to the grinding wheel.

There is a drawing by David Ellsworth showing his setup, with the pivot point being 4" down from center and 7" from the face of the wheel. Is that a good starting point for the varigrind?

Also, there's really nothing written that describes the effects of moving the jig's movable arm. Are there any recommended settings for that, or is it all trial & error?

TIA

Dave, the exact positioning of the vari-grind will depend on the profile you want to create/maintain. Have you watched the video on the system that Oneway has on their site? If not, check it out here: Wolverine System
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

That guy in the video does a good job and he never says "Ehhhh?" once.....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Craft Supply sells a set of tools called Raptor Set up Tool
    rap_set_up_too-3.jpg
    They can help you get the pocket in the right position and include instructions for setting the Vari-grind. They are a bit expensive at $8.25 each but work well for keeping the grind consistant as the wheel wears (Matrix wheels - not a problem with CBN). If the vari-grind is set to their specs and the two points touch the wheel the long point should set in the pocket, then the angle at the nose should be as marked on the tool. The important point is that it registers against two points on the wheel, not just the face.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I think Dave Schwitzer from D-Way Tools sets the distance from the wheel to the pocket at 7.25" to get his grind. To make the secondary bevel he slips a 1/2" piece of wood into the pocket so the gouge rises up slightly for a perfect secondary bevel.

I use the 7.25" setting with a small length of wood to measure and have a rare earth magnet in the pocket to hold the leg in place and then for the secondary bevel I slip in a 1/2" long rod magnet to again hold the leg in position for consistent grinds.
    Peter F.

Doug Thompson has "recipes" to use a One-Way Wolverine system to duplicate his grinds. Lots of other resources if you search.

This is a post that points to an article by Kirk DeHeer that goes into the geometry of the Wolverine jig. (I haven't studied it yet, but bookmarked it to get back to it.)
    Last edited by David Bassett; 03-14-2015 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Fix a typo.

Dave, you should check out Eddie Castilines' site at eddiecastilin.com he has a couple of videos on this subject that are very informative.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Dave, the exact positioning of the vari-grind will depend on the profile you want to create/maintain. Have you watched the video on the system that Oneway has on their site? If not, check it out here: Wolverine System
    For some reason those videos are difficult for my system to view. I get no sound, or Chrome refuses to run it. I was finally able to watch the low-res version and it was helpful. Thanks.