Thread: Cast iron Sewing Base Makeup Stand for my wife - Birdseye, Maple and Ash

Cast iron Sewing Base Makeup Stand for my wife - Birdseye, Maple and Ash

Good Afternoon everyone,
    This is a piece I just finished for my wife, Toni. It's a concept we've been talking about for some time, but it's finally hers! The piece is constructed with hand cut dovetails at each corner and is made predominantly of birdseye maple along with some plain hard maple and ash. The base is an old treadle sewing machine base that my parents bought in Vermont years ago, its a New Home brand, just like a Singer which more people are familiear with. Dovetail keys are used to stabilize a bark inclusion on one of the boards. Drawers are also hand cut dovetails;half blinds in front and through in back. Drawer bottoms are solid ash.
    Dimensions are approx 21"d x 32"w x 30"h.

As always, questions and comments (more than) welcome!

Cheers,
    NWB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

Very nice Nick...The wood looks great...I better not show my wife this as I have a Singer stand in the cellar & she may want one...

That's some nice Work Nick. The design is very simple but it shows you got some skills.I have not seen Birdseye maple that nice in a few years.Nice find on the wood.
    I remember how difficult good Birdseye maple can be to work,you took on quite the challenge.Thanks for sharing Aj

Jay,
    Thanks for your kind words. Your secret is safe with me... I know my parents have at least one other Singer stand at home that I've got my eye on.

Andrew,
    Thanks. That was a piece of wood I purchased in 2009 or so, and I've been moving it around since then. We were going for simple, but also similar to the traditional sewing machine look. the wood acted as expected (challenging at times), but was easily tamed with sharp tools.

-NWB
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

Beautiful wood and beautiful workmanship. Why did you make it that deep? My wife always wants to get up really close to the mirror.

John

John,
    No real reason for the depth other than the board that I used was +/-10.5"wide. I guess my focus was on utilizing (and showing off) the material and less on the end use. Early on when we were talking about the piece she like the idea of the depth, so she can spread out. So far it seems to be a success in her eyes and therefore mine.

-NWB

nice reuse of the cast iron base. Glad she's happy! beautiful
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Birdseye maple is my first choice for a special project. There is no project
    more special than one with a SOMEONE SPECIAL in mind. Nice job using the
    sewing machine stand. Butterflies,dovetails,bark inclusions,cast iron,mirror I
    would say you have got it all. Please post a photo of the bench or seat you are
    going to make. AGAIN nice job!

Really beautiful!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...