Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Early Knock on the Door

Blog Entries
    just be careful, that's all I am saying.
    Martin,

Thanks for your concern. Those issues had not crossed my mind. This time of year the roll up door is always wide open.

The boys father did come down to my shop the first time the boys came down. He came in to tell them it was time to come get ready to go into town. He does chainsaw carving. He is also welcome to come down with or without the kids. He is the neighbor that had to cut a cherry tree that fell in the night at the front of my place and blocked the drive. I made him a fish whacker from some of the wood.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Those kids are right lucky. Wish I was 12 and lived next door to you. I am glad I found the creek biz of folks like you, Jim.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the kind words Prashun.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    I didn't expect to see Conner today, but while reading the news on my computer my wife informed me there was a visitor at our door to see me.

My attention has been to get a potting bench done for the start of the farmers market next weekend. Conner was happy to have a little attention as he was most interested in the art of removing wood from a large piece and ending up with a smaller piece that looks nice.

He was using on of his chisels to round over the edges on a small scrap of wood. I told him if he was careful he could use one of my chisels. He was amazed at the difference between his an mine.

He also got to use my veiner gouge. He said that is at the top of his list for what he wants.

He made a piece with a heart and some curlycue artwork with the initials of a young girl he likes at school. I lightly teased him about how she is going to cherish it for the rest of her life and will likely end up marrying him. He laughed.

As my work progressed I showed him a few different things about clocking screws and such with a little history of gunsmiths and such. I also told him to look for them in places where electricians have done it. I told him some electricians do this so they can tell if anyone has been messing in places where shouldn't they shouldn't be messing.

He also got a little education on vise wracking and different types of drill bits.

Trying to start a foundation for him to build on.

jtk

I wanna come over and play!

Before you answer that Jim, you need to be aware that I'm the kid that asks the annoying questions. Like if planes work so much better with wax on the bottom then why don't they just make the planes out of wax? And other dreadful things like that.

With all of the offers you've made to members to stop by your shop to try out tools if 1% took you up on the offer your house would look like an episode of a Bob Newhart sitcom.

Sounds like your apprentice is a goodun'. Have fun!

-Tom

Blog Entries
    I'm the kid that asks the annoying questions.
    That is when a research assignment is issued. Maybe a test to see how long it takes for the wax to wear away.

With all of the offers you've made to members to stop by your shop to try out tools if 1% took you up on the offer your house would look like an episode of a Bob Newhart sitcom.
    That wouldn't be too bad, Newhart is one of my long time favorites.

And if I awoke to find it all a dream and my first wife was next to me that's okay because she still is my first and only wife.

jtk

Jim, you are making great memories for that kid, keep it up.

I can see him going around his house, looking for screws to clock!
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Blog Entries
    Today I called up to his house because I wanted him to see how molding can be made by hand. He brought the piece he made yesterday.

Initials.jpgConner's Carving.jpg

He did a bit more work on it and then wanted some sand paper to smooth it. He took an old piece of 180 and a fresh piece of 400.

He had brother Evan and a friend with him.

jtk

Jim this could make a real Huck Finn short story. I wish one of my 6 grandsons would show that kind of interest. Have fun

And if I awoke to find it all a dream and my first wife was next to me that's okay because she still is my first and only wife.
    How about Suzanne Pleshette?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mcilroy View Post
    How about Suzanne Pleshette?
    Nope, never married her. She played the wife in the first series to which I was reminiscing as she was also in the last episode of the second series.

jtk

Magical moments Jim, well done...................Rod.

Jim,

Kid sure is lucky to be your neighbor, so cool you are sharing your knowledge and time. I envy both of you. My dad did very well teaching me about tools and being "handy" around the house, but not in the woodworking trade, wish I had the awesome experience the kid is having and I wish later in my life someone comes up to me so I can share whatever I learn from now till then.

/p