Thread: Sometimes you can' be too cute

Blog Entries

Sometimes you can' be too cute

So I was planning to get the final assembly of the guitar complete today. I received the missing pick-up ring screws and enlarged the hole from thebridge pick-up cavity. So the pick-ups get installed, the bridge and pick-up goes on, the controls are wired up and I get the straplocks on. I put strings on and get a basic tuning and plug it into the amp. The neck pick-up sounds great, I can tap the coils, the four way switching works until... I go for the bridge pick-up alone - no sound! So what's going on?

So I troubleshoot. Check pickup to amp directly with jumpers. It works. Reconnect it, no sound. Take all the controls out / off, and check them individually. All work. Assemble them, but leave them uninstalled. They all work. Install them. Bridge pick-up still doesn't work. Arggggggh! Okay maybe the installation is grounding out against the shielding? No. Maybe due to the four way switch and the variable pot values, the switch can't be agains the grounded shielding. Remove the shielding from the area where the switch is mounted in the control cavity. Still no love. Leave the switch poking through but no attached. It works!

It turns out that when I fabricated the control cavity and switch slot, I used the dimensions from the typical three way switch. However, I installed a four way switch which has a "slightly" longer throw. Between my fabrication and the fabrication of the switch itself my slot was short by well less than 1/32". So 2+ hrs of troubleshooting of what I thought was a electrical problem turns out to be a woodworking problem. Ahhhhhhh! So, my overzealousness to keep everything minimal, neat and tidy, backfires.

I had to leave to experiment with Raku Enameling (very cool by the way), so I'll elongate the hole tomorrow (probably having to take the guitar apart some) and then be able to set up the guitar.

image.jpg
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Ha ha...I've never done that before after the last time I did it again.

What's Raku Enameling?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Ha ha...I've never done that before after the last time I did it again.

What's Raku Enameling?
    Raku is a fire glazing technique see on some pottery. What we were playing around with is while enameling on copper in DW's shop, after firing the enamel, we would put the piece into a pot with combustible materials (Pine needles, Pampas grass, etc.) which would immediately light. The lid is put on and some of the smoke is fused inside the glass.
    Raku Enamel.jpg

The color is far more deep, rich and transparent than the pictures depict.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

Blog Entries
    Took the guitar apart today and enlarged the hole. Reassembled and voila' it works. Got it setup and it intonated easily. got the pickups balanced and a backplate fabricated. I have a couple of touch-ups but almost there. I ended up going with Lollar J-Street and and Lollar Imperial.

Sorry for the terrible iPad photos in bad light. When I get it done, I'll take better photos with the SLR.
    <untitled>1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Shawn

Don't poke my head in here for a few days and whallah! Shawn's built a guitar and solved an electrical problem that wasn't electrical without the electrical poobah. That perfectionist thing can sneak up and bite you if you're not careful. I've been bit many times but I still go back for more abuse.

Gorgeous guitar, Shawn! I didn't think I liked spalted until I saw that.