Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pick your NCAA Basketball team.....

Pick your NCAA Basketball team.....

I moved to Kentucky but am married to a woman who loves UK. I like Kentucky as a place quite a bit, so for whatever reason guess they are my team this year, reluctantly. What about you folks?

Would be hard to vote against KY winning it all. They beat my state team twice by a pretty wide margin (that would be Arkansas). A very talented team of McDonald's All Americans. Not sure the "one and done" thing is good for college basketball. That topic has been beaten to death.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

From the western part of the state - Go Cats!

Cheer for who you like but stay tuned - I believe going undefeated for a season which in Kentucky's case would make them 40 -0 is like winning a triple crown - been done before, not done recently and may never be done again.

Cherish watching.

Well,

Given that they are the local team (although another from just down the road also made it in), and that I am about 97.5% of the way to being an alumnus..

GO ZAGS!

Regards, Marty
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon

I'm supporting my alma mater and underdog The University of Virginia. How can you not root for the team that works hard, plays defense, and isn't just one super star, or a team of superstars in one other case.

Go Hoos!

IOWA STATE all the way!!

Is it just me or is college basketball (at this level) pretty evenly matched for the first 38 minutes of the game, with the final outcome pretty much the result of lucky breaks in the last 1-2 minutes?

Oh, and Wisconsin.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Oh, and Wisconsin.
    They are very good, Phil - no question about that from this Spartan.

I have reached the conclusion that the B1G teams have a hard time - not impossible, but hard - in the upper tier. The bruising, crash-and-smash defenses that are a hallmark of Bo, Izzo, Crean, and Thad seem to struggle against the styles of other parts of the country - think of all those tall, lean, and frighteningly fast players on the Arizona team. No team like them in the Big Ten.......... I think there is a good chance of seeing that matchup in the West.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    I think Kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Gulseth View Post
    Well,

Given that they are the local team (although another from just down the road also made it in), and that I am about 97.5% of the way to being an alumnus..

GO ZAGS!

Regards, Marty
    Who are the Zags?

Gonzaga...

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    They are very good, Phil - no question about that from this Spartan. I have reached the conclusion that the B1G teams have a hard time - not impossible, but hard - in the upper tier. The bruising, crash-and-smash defenses that are a hallmark of Bo, Izzo, Crean, and Thad seem to struggle against the styles of other parts of the country - think of all those tall, lean, and frighteningly fast players on the Arizona team. No team like them in the Big Ten.......... I think there is a good chance of seeing that matchup in the West.
    Saw that match-up last year, Kent. Bucky came-out on top. Aside from KY, this year is wide open IMHO, that coming from a huge U.W. fan. I kept official stats for the the Badgers for 7 years while I was in grad school.

Rock Chalk! Need I say more? OK so we might not be that great this year but we'll have a great team next year.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Who are the Zags?
    Not knowing that disqualifies you from starting a NCAA basketball thread. This thread should now be locked.

I don't have a dog in the hunt so I am rooting for the story, which would be Kentucky going undefeated. I think there may be a few teams that can beat them, but I suspect KY will reign supreme this year.

No dog in the fight.

I do have a Zags' story to tell. A few years ago our flight from Spokane to Denver got cancelled due to a mechanical problem. The airline did reroute us to Denver via San Francisco on another flight. It was full capacity and we shared the plane with the Gonzaga basketball team. My wife and I were surrounded by them....shared a row with a couple players. What a nice bunch of young men! It was refreshing.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....