Thread: Ideas for coffee table protection

Ideas for coffee table protection

A maple coffee table, that I just finished (see image). I like to put my feet up and probably set a glass or two on it. It's finished with Arm R Seal, but I need more protection.
    Looking for ideas to build on:
    1. First I was thinking of cutting strips of the table scrap pieces to make a cutting/serving board of sort. The top is almost 1.25" thick and would probably cut the strips and glue up something in the 14"x24" size. I'd probably make two and would go maybe just a little bit thicker, say 1.5" thick with the glue up strips. Inlays of different wood is not preferred and I'd finish it like a cutting board. Might make two that I can put up like "coasters".
    2. I have 16/16 ceramic tile in my house. Also some 16/8 in two different colors that look like stone. Using extras I have of those or something else. Probably make two of whatever I decide. My thought here would be to use the tile on a bed of 1.25" material and then trim around the perimeter with a maple border - say a 1.25" border. The wood I'd finish as a cutting board - it would probably look better to utilize the stone as the protection and user arm r seal on the border.
    I'm unsure about the seal between the tile and the wood - clear silicone?
    Thanks for your time. rick

IMG_2056.jpg

Why stick a pastie on top, when you can remake the top with a center tile inlay? See this one. http://www.stickley.com/OurProducts_...ew=all&finish=

Remove the top. Rip it down so as to get four lengths of 4 to 5 inch widths with no edgeglue lines. Use them to make a four-sided framed top and do a baltic birch ply center, inset down 1/2" to 5/8". Tile the center using thinset and grout.

You can miter the frame sides of the top or do bridle joints or a through-tenon arrangement.

It's my opinion that such furniture is meant to be used and, if the top gets too bad it can always be refinished.

..But if you feel you need a covering that can be removed when company comes over, you might consider a tablecloth or sheet of 1/4" finished hardwood plywood with edges or plexiglas or glass or cushions for your feet and coasters for your drinks. Also, think about the hassle of removing the stuff on top and putting the cover away whenever company comes over .. and where you will put it.

On the other hand, a good finish will protect against much abuse.

If you want to make a cutting board or mosaic tile serving board as an aesthetic addition, I think it's great. It's the cherry on top of a nice sundae.

As for protection, the Arm R Seal will be decent enough protection for your feet. Until the surface is cured, be careful of putting any glasses/coffee/aggressive things on it. My arm-r-seal finished coffee table suffered a white spot because I did not heed this advice.

I am partial to Yonak's philosophy. I like to keep my varnish finishes low build, which really does make them easier to repair. You just buff out minor scratches with a ROS and some 320-600 sandpaper, then wipe on 2-3 more coats of the original finish and you're good as new.

Prashun, how protective is the arm r seal in terms of water glases and abrasion? I'm going to let it cure for 30 days then brown paper sack it to get really smooth.

Abrasion: very good. Against water, I think it's fine too. After the finish (I believe) cured, I didn't have issues with any liquids. In fact, after the first white ring, which happened in a week after it went live, I was resigned to refinishing it so I let anyone and everyone abuse it by using it without coasters - both hot and cold liquids. Nothing damaged it subsequently.

I built a walnut coffee table out of beautiful, clear walnut. Put a few coats of Sutherland Welles Polymerized Tung Oil on it. It's a wipe on finish that looks like an oil finish. It is three years old and looks like new. I put my feet up on it, hot coffee, cold beer, wet glasses, my teenage kids have used it, and no one ever attempted to be careful with it. The result: it is just as beautiful as the day I made it. You might find a scratch if you looked, but I can guarantee, this finish will outperform anything else I have ever found.

I used the meduim finish and it is pretty glossy. I've also used the gloss finish on a gun stock and it makes it look awesome. Defnitely not a coverup finish like polyurethane can be. It lets the wood show through.

Highly recommended.