Thread: I'm probably going to burn for this....

I'm probably going to burn for this....

see, I'm generally anti- tool collector. I use tools, I want others to use tools, I don't want to see them get amassed into a small number of hands. It's a philosophical thing. keep the traditions alive, not in a museum.

at a thrift store the other day I picked up a block plane.
    It's not like I need another block plane, I have more than I need already. but this one was old, a design I wasn't familliar with and both in good shape and cheap. it came home with me. today I cleaned it up and got a good look at it.

it has the adjustable toe plate, but no adjuster lever for it, nor any sign that it ever had one.

it has no lateral lever.

it has a lever cap of a design I hadn't seen before.

on the blade is stamped (very faintly)

L. BAILEY'S
    PATENT
    AUG. 6, 57
    AUG. 31, 58 EXT.

It's entirely useable, given a sharpening.
    I find myself wondering what it's worth to a collector....

tumblr_nla8q9bRNd1qhrm32o1_500.jpg

tumblr_nla8q239YU1qhrm32o1_500.jpg

tumblr_nla8pwS7681qhrm32o1_500.jpg

tumblr_nla8pjQK221qhrm32o1_500.jpg

tumblr_nla8p9HobP1qhrm32o1_500.jpg

tumblr_nla8p1v9vz1qhrm32o1_500.jpg

tumblr_nla8ouA50t1qhrm32o1_500.jpg

tumblr_nla8okeh4U1qhrm32o1_500.jpg

If it's 6" long, it's a #9. 7" long would be a #15. 1880s vintage. Collectible, but not rare. You can check Ebay completed listings for current sales.

Blog Entries
    Bridger,

Those are the kind of thing I'll pick up and save for the day when cash needs to be raised for a new tool. The hope is that it will sell for more than what was paid for it originally.

Yes, it is great to see an old tool stay in service. Just include "great user" in the listing and make sure you use it and it works well. Hopefully someone who intends to use it will keep it working until they have to pass it on to the next user.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Seem to have one about like that one
    IMAG0058.jpg
    Not much different the the other two "niners" I have
    IMAG0059.jpg
    91/2, 9-1/2 Columbia,9-1/4 Stanley. The iron on the Excellzcior is about used up. Might just retire it.

Welcome to the dark side Bridger...

I like how those "excelsior" models look personally. They bring more than standard 9's, but like Mel says they aren't really rare. I think I paid 40 for mine, and most of the crowd of 9's come in the 20 range. Years ago though, so who knows now. Use it, they work as nice as they look! (then you won't have to worry about becoming a collector either )