Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: If You Squint

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ranck View Post
    Love it! I can't wait to see it with the drawer fronts on.
    Jeff,

Thanks.

I have a nice Spalted Sycamore board in my wood pile. I expect that will be the first I try, if it doesn't work then Cherry.

ken

Blog Entries
    Great thread - thanks Ken! I really like your project and appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and picks. I'm really enjoying your description of your build.

You are a better man than I; anything involving plumbing at our house invariably entails cursing, thrown tools I don't know how to use, followed by calling a plumber. Usually costs extra to fix the "repairs " I did.

I look forward to seeing the your project with the drawer fronts on.

Best, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    Great thread - thanks Ken! I really like your project and appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and picks. I'm really enjoying your description of your build.

You are a better man than I; anything involving plumbing at our house invariably entails cursing, thrown tools I don't know how to use, followed by calling a plumber. Usually costs extra to fix the "repairs " I did.

I look forward to seeing the your project with the drawer fronts on.

Best, Mike
    Mike,

All of the above except calling a plumber were evident at Casa Chaos . When I started connecting the plumbing my first thought was to use black PVC because it never leaks and custom fitting is easy but because it was exposed I decided to go with chromed under sink connectors. Wrong move Bubba, after two days, a dozen trips to HD and Ace, and more money than I care to admit I gave up on the chrome fittings and went back to the original black PVC. One trip to the Orange Box, less than $20USDs, and about an hour on my hands and knees with my head stuck under the vanity and it was a done deal. Sometimes I think I'm too dumb to live.

The drawer fronts will be sometime next week, SWMBO has plans for my time this long weekend. Best I can tell they involve Mexico and a beach.

Thanks for following the project,

ken

Blog Entries
    I know that feeling. If it's copper and clean water I'll work on it....
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I learned my lesson many years ago, after almost turning a $20 plumbing repair into a $200 house call by the plumber. Over a holiday weekend. With a 6 month old baby in the house! I haven't attempted anything since.

Ken your vanity looks great. A good write up on the process also. On the plumbing thing, my experience is you can't get what you need at the big box stores. You will always end up having to adapt to get something to work. I'm sure you have a plumbing supply house somewhere near you. That is the place to go. The chrome stuff is mostly used for commercial work nowadays so the big box won't have it because of price point. It is a bit like tools, they won't have a good brand saw that costs a hundred bucks because it will not sell. The good part is you worked through it and are happy with the finished product. I enjoyed following your build very well done.
    Jim

My Dad, who I remember this memorial day weekend, always told me that plumbing was easy: pipes are round and water runs downhill. Now my experience is that is hasn't been quite so easy, but that is my Dad for you!

First I want to thank all that followed and commented on this build. My part of it is now finished, SWMBO will install a Mexican tile splash guard once she finishes the sitting room tile. The bathroom redo still has a roll holder, towel rack and a door for me to install and a hanging cabinet to build but.....That stuff will happen when it happens.

The vanity has a Cherry base, Walnut top, Soft Maple drawer boxes, and Spalted Sycamore fronts all finished with BLO based finishes. It wasn't a bad build, a few mistakes were made but most are well hidden and if, a huge if, I can keep my mouth shut only another woodworker would find 'em.

Here are a couple of photos: