Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If You Squint

Looking really, really nice!

I've been following the thread and I have to ask. Are you a metric shop or an imperial shop? I notice your drawings have both metic as well as a 13" measurement. I'm always interested in shops that are ambidextrous as I chose imperial a long time ago to try to make things easier.
    Last edited by Jeff Ranck; 04-13-2015 at 7:28 PM.

Thanks Jeff,

I'm a basically a metric shop but can work either and do some because my tools are a mix. But for major measurements it is metric. I find I make many fewer mistakes when working metric vs. fractional.

The 13" was for the Boss Lady who only thinks in feet and stones (Scottish of a certain age and not likely to change). She wanted to know how much room she would have for baskets on the lower shelf, turns out it is close to 15" but as long as she buys no taller than 13" life will be good.

ken

Update on Bath Vanity.....It's been slow going for the last week or so, the day job has made heavy demands of my time. I had planned on or at least wanted to use a wood slab for the top. After testing a number of finishes that the wood store folks said would be water resistant it was no joy, they all would water spot and I do not want to use an Applebee's bar finish. Ordered an Ebony composite top, it should look OK, not what I wanted but....What the hey.

Made the drawer boxes out of some Soft Maple. It's been awhile since I've used Soft Maple and I had forgotten how nice it is to work. Anyway, finished up the drawer boxes yesterday and now waiting on the top and the sink to show up. Here is my set up for box clean up:

A cleaned up drawer box:

Blog Entries
    Coming along nicely Ken.

Just a note on finishes, I've found waterlox to hold up when applied heavily. Not just the sealer, but the sealer then the 'finish' applied as the can suggests.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Coming along nicely Ken.

Just a note on finishes, I've found waterlox to hold up when applied heavily. Not just the sealer, but the sealer then the 'finish' applied as the can suggests.
    Thanks Brian,

Of the finishes I tried Waterlox worked almost OK, maybe I just didn't use enough . Oh well, the composite top is on its way.

ken

Blog Entries
    I realize you already have another solution, but just for conversation;

Thats likely the case, I usually use a light wipe-on coating of waterlox, maybe 4-5 coats on most projects and they will show rings. I did use waterlox sealer followed by the finish on a table that was set to see a lot of use, I used in the aforementioned manner and it has held up to 4 years of scotch, water glasses and cigar ashes without flinching.

Commercial bar finish type stuff is quite tough as well, I have a table finished in a commercial bar finish and the stuff is really durable against spills.

Brian,

I appreciate the info...A roll around Kitchen island is coming soon and I expect to use a wood top on it. It's good to know what will work.

ken

I realize you already have another solution, but just for conversation;

Thats likely the case, I usually use a light wipe-on coating of waterlox, maybe 4-5 coats on most projects and they will show rings. I did use waterlox sealer followed by the finish on a table that was set to see a lot of use, I used in the aforementioned manner and it has held up to 4 years of scotch, water glasses and cigar ashes without flinching.

Commercial bar finish type stuff is quite tough as well, I have a table finished in a commercial bar finish and the stuff is really durable against spills.
    Brian,

Well I'm back to plan A. After almost three weeks the top came in and I picked it up, un-boxed it, set it on the vanity base, and it didn't fit. After a few ##@$$%^&& I turned it over and all I can say is what an abortion. I thought about trying to make it work for a couple of seconds, MsBubba showed up and voted "no way". I may be just a dumb West Texas Farm Boy but....after many years I've figured out the secret of life and that is to say "yes dear" with convection.

Bottom line: The vanity top went back to HD, I dug through my wood pile and found enough 8/4 Walnut to make a top. I'll take your advice and use the Waterlox sealer with 5 or 6 coats of Waterlox and see what happens.

That's the kinda bad, kinda good news....the good news is the bath re-do is finished except the top and it shouldn't take more than a couple or three days to finish it and connect everything up.

Photos to follow.

ken

Blog Entries
    Hah, indeed, that is quite honestly the true secret to a happy life. I chose my protests wisely (most times).

looking forward to seeing the walnut top on this project. Just an FYI, the finishing does take quite some time when done in the manner suggested on the can.

The vanity is installed. Lots left to do; connect the plumbing, make the drawer fronts and pulls, and do the tile splash guard. I still need to do a small wall cabinet and a mirror. Whatever, it is good to have it out of the shop.

ken

Blog Entries
    Looks great Ken, happily enjoying that walnut top I presume

Beautiful execution. I really like the simplicity of the design.

I know you used two tenons on the wide side aprons, but do you still need to elongate the holes in the tenons to allow for movement?

Mark,

Thanks. I was cussing it yesterday, the day was spent with my head and shoulders stuck under it installing the plumbing. What a miserable job.

The tenons are draw bored and with the usual "sloppy" length of my mortises I don't think or at least I hope movement will not be a problem with the double tenon.

ken

Love it! I can't wait to see it with the drawer fronts on.

Looks great Ken, happily enjoying that walnut top I presume
    Brian,

Yep. it looks better than the composite would have.

Plumbing is kicking my butt but that's to be expected.

ken