Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peter Galbert's book "Chairmaker's Notebook"

Blog Entries

Peter Galbert's book "Chairmaker's Notebook"

Peter Galbert finished his new book "Chairmaker's Notebook" on green woodworking and building chairs. Lost Art Press and Lee Valley have the book listed and will apparently send bound copies out within a few weeks.

I ordered a bound and PDF version. I was pleasantly surprised to find the PDF file immediately available for download. I have been browsing several subjects I was very interested in and have found the detailed writing and drawings very descriptive. Galbert has an art education and is a very gifted illustrator, his hand drawn illustrations are very useful in understanding the process. Even those who have no interest in building a Windsor Chair will find much to learn in this book. In my book, Galbert's writing skills combined with the prolific illustrations cover the many subjects in a unique and engaging way.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 03-17-2015 at 12:36 AM.

Thanks for the quick review Mike. I'll add this to my LV Wish List for the next free shipping event.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Just ordered mine today from Lost Art Press. Shipping is free until Friday, the 20th. Enter Chair​ in the code area for free shipping. Also, using PayPal gets free shipping as well.
    Maurice

Thanks Maurice!

BTW guys, just this morning I noticed that Highland WW has a Galbert-designed honing jig for drawknives - in case anyone is looking for such.

Yup, that drawknife jig was designed with, and is being made by Benchcrafted. They are located about an hour or so southeast of Atlanta, so Highland is a natural for retailing it.
    Maurice

I downloaded the PDF as well. What a terrific book. It has rekindled a nascent interest i have in chair making.
    Paul

Isn't Bench-Crafted in Iowa?

Blog Entries
    This is one of a few books being considered for my library.

The online samples have been enough for me to want a hard copy.

Thanks for your confirmation Mike.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    Isn't Bench-Crafted in Iowa?
    Mike, I believe you are right. I was thinking about all of the French Oak Roubo shenanigans that took place in Barnesville, GA. Ron Brese is somewhat local, however.
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    This is one of a few books being considered for my library.

The online samples have been enough for me to want a hard copy.

Thanks for your confirmation Mike.

jtk
    Jim, for what my opinion is worth, this book is on my list of books I would want to have if I was stranded on a desert island. I read a lot, am hard to please, and it's terrific.

Far better than Mike Dunbar's windsor chair book, (which is also very good) and as a bonus, lacks Dunbar's ego and certainty that his way is the only way.
    Paul

By chance, I happen to see him on Rough Cuts while channel surfing. I was impressed with his obvious skill but also his honesty and lack of hype. He seems like guy you could sit down and have a beer with to discuss woodworking, or anything else. I'll probably get the book even though I'll never get to the skill level required to build one of these chairs.

The thing I remember most is when Tommy asked Peter how long it took him to shape the chair bottom. He said "about 30 minutes". Then Tommy asked how long it would take him (Tommy) if he had never done it before - Peter answered - "about a day".

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    ... Dunbar's ego and certainty that his way is the only way.
    Have you ever met Mike Dunbar?
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Nope. Do I need to? His writing and blogging bear out my observation. Love his book, but Galberts is even better.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    Nope. Do I need to? His writing and blogging bear out my observation. Love his book, but Galberts is even better.
    Having read a few of his books, I never took away any sense of ego as you say. I actually know Mike, beyond his writings and teaching. He's nothing but generous, forthright and humble with his time and knowledge, again no ego or any "my way or the highway." He's also a pretty funny guy. So, I find your generalization not only a bit odd, but to be inaccurate.

Peter's book is excellent, better in writing and visual descriptions of his process than Mike's. Peter's writing style is more relaxed and you feel like you are having a conversation with him. Mike's knowledge of the Windsor history is superior. Both have solid knowledge where you could be successful in building a Windsor chair.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Blog Entries
    I think the reason some people have the impression of ego or arrogance in relation to Michael Dunbar has to do with his firm public stand against some gear/equipment many others use to make chairs. I believe he has been quoted as saying that no one needs a shavehorse to make a Windsor Chair, insinuating that anyone who says they do is not worth their salt. I have talked with Mike and find him very pleasant and easy to learn from. I suspect his stand against, shavehorses in particular, is as much an effort to simplify and reduce the special gear people feel they need to make a Windsor, thus increasing the number of people who may attempt making one. I suspect his classes are excellent. I do have a sawhorse and find it useful though.

I took the class Galbert did at Highland Woodworking. It was exhausting in terms of the amount of information and methodology offered. Galbert might be considered the opposite of Dunbar in terms of his approach to the tools used to make Windsors. Galbert is very inventive and is constantly trying to design better tools to make Windsors. Half the time in the class I took Peter was working on improving the tools we were using. He sharpened my drawknife, rebuilt drill bits, built a jig to line up drill bits at an angle for those of us who might not have been able to use his visually challenging method.....He constantly tinkers with the tools. He has quite a few people and companies making his tool designs and selling them, including Benchmade. I think Benchmade is making his turning caliper and his drawknife sharpening device. His traviser design, reamer for tapered tenons...are made by a number of different woodworkers and offered for sale.

Anytime there is such a divergent approach to methods or tools there will be some errr discussion concerning which approach to follow. Of course we NEVER experience any of this kind of discussion regarding methods or tools here!
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 03-18-2015 at 2:09 PM.