Thread: Large curved front cabinet

Large curved front cabinet

I wanted to make a cabinet that would be suited for either an entertainment center or maybe a sideboard in a dining or living room. And I wanted to stretch my skills and materials by attempting some different inlays, materials and joinery. This is the result. The frame is cherry, the door inserts and drawer fronts are maple, and the top is cork flooring. The side panels, which don't show well in this photograph (sorry all of the photos are mediocre quality) are cherry frames with a rippled plastic panel designed as a backsplash inserted like a traditional floating panel. The tiles are small bronze tiles I bought from a variety of merchants, and the gold inlay is special square wire set in a groove. The doors slide side to side and are held in grooves with plastic runners. All of the drawers have false fronts attached to drawers with modified dovetail sides (detail not shown). Also not shown is the engineered oak flooring used to make the drawer bottoms - try it sometime, they are very sturdy and well finished. Because there are so many details here, I will not explain everything so if anyone has a specific question fire away. (already posted on BT3Central).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    How did you make the lattice for the doors?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

We think you've got something there. Weird and wonderful.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Hi Gene,It's kinda cool very different.Im not sure about the panels they are tripping me out. Thanks for sharing Aj

I have made many items with the "lattice" you use here...except on a much smaller scale. At this size & amount on a large cabinet piece, it really plays with the eyes. Quite a build.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    How did you make the lattice for the doors?
    There was a FWW article on how to do that. I can't remember the issue though

First let me say that the panels look less confusing and mind-blowing in person. The pictures seem to accentuate the moire effect and you would assume you get a headache looking at them. The technique I originally saw on Fine Woodworking sometime in 2013. I changed the method to make it easier, at least to me. I mounted a strip of pegboard to the bottom of my router with a cove cutting bit in it. Then I assembled a frame on plywood the size of the panel I was working on - the frame is the same thickness as the panel but can be any scraps, because it is there just to hold the panel in place. at the bottom of the frame I inserted a dowel, centered on the panel, that the router spins on because the pegboard hole fits down over the pin. Then you rout from side to side and move the router up to the next hole in the pegboard. When done with one side, you flip the work piece over and rotate 180 degrees, put back in the frame, and repeat routing another set of grooves.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks sweet!!! Great work!
    I remember that article, and have wanted to try it since then.
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene Bartholomew View Post
    First let me say that the panels look less confusing and mind-blowing in person. The pictures seem to accentuate the moire effect and you would assume you get a headache looking at them. The technique I originally saw on Fine Woodworking sometime in 2013. I changed the method to make it easier, at least to me. I mounted a strip of pegboard to the bottom of my router with a cove cutting bit in it. Then I assembled a frame on plywood the size of the panel I was working on - the frame is the same thickness as the panel but can be any scraps, because it is there just to hold the panel in place. at the bottom of the frame I inserted a dowel, centered on the panel, that the router spins on because the pegboard hole fits down over the pin. Then you rout from side to side and move the router up to the next hole in the pegboard. When done with one side, you flip the work piece over and rotate 180 degrees, put back in the frame, and repeat routing another set of grooves.
    What router bit are you using and isn't there a lot of fuzz to clean up? How do you do that clean up.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I used a cove bit, 1/2-inch I think. And yes, where the bit cuts through to a gap, there is no wood to back up the edges so you end up fuzzy edges. I had to file and sand each through groove. It is not exactly hard work, just tedious. If you only rout from one side, from both ends, you also get a very interesting appearance without all of the filing. And Of course, the style of router bits are wide open - I tried a stepped bit and an ogee and got very interesting results. You can also try a V-bit.