Thread: $23 of whitewood from Lowes?

Cool $23 of whitewood from Lowes?

And one of the boards was a 2x4! Ripped that into four leg blanks, then turned them on a lathe. Breadboard edge on the top. Just a single drawer, though. White knob was just what was in the shop. May get a better one later. A look at what this high priced lumber made?
    IMAG0056.jpgIMAG0058.jpgIMAG0059.jpgIMAG0061.jpg
    Top is: 3/4" x 16" x 27". Table stands at 31" overall. Drawer bottom has a 1/2" thick plywood panel. Sides and front have a 1/4" wide by 3/8" deep groove, so the plywood panel has rebates on those three ends. Bottom of the panel is flush with the bottom of the drawer. Witch's Brew for the first coat, straight BLO for the final coat.

Couple hours at a time in the Dungeon Shop, about all I could handle nowadays.

Looks like quality construction with the dovetail lower drawer stretcher and breadboard ends on the top, I can't tell for sure but the drawer front looks to be a 1/2 dovetail joint to the sides. Did you let the wood air dry for a time before the build? I am thinking of using lumber yard doug fir and letting it air dry for period before I build a garden bench with it. It would interesting to know if all stays "straight, square, level, and plumb" with your table.
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

I let it get used to the house weather for about a week. All the wood was kiln dried, anyway. Stamps on the 1x6s said it was #2 and better...

The 2x4 I used for the legs was the straightest I could find in the stack. Same with the 1xs. I spent a few minutes digging down through to find the best boards they had...

Looks good. I hope the week was enough to get it dry and equalised. If it does start to move at least it was a cheap lesson.

I had the same moisture concern when I read the post..I hope it holds up well for you. The 23.00 was well spent..a nice little table.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Looks real nice, amazing what you can do with a lot of skill and $23.00 worth of wood.