Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carcass Saw

Carcass Saw

I have a few good vintage rip and crosscut saws from Mr. Allen and am now looking for a carcass saw to add. Any recommendations on a carcass saw? What information should one consider when getting one.

I too need to learn about these. I just have new stuff but . . . really . . . that would be my first choice for another woodworking tool. Not that I need one but I would really enjoy using a vintage back saw.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Sorry Rich, but I wasnt sure if you're looking for an old saw or a new one?

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Sorry Rich, but I wasnt sure if you're looking for an old saw or a new one?
    Either works. I enjoy both new and vintage tools.

5. I'm shopping for one, too. Right now I'm leaning towards the LN saw, maybe the tapered variety.

Blog Entries
    I have both LN carcass saws, rip and crosscut. They are great saws. I also have a Disston 4 crosscut made in the middle of last century that I use more and more. It is really a sweet saw.

Ive been eyeballing a kit that Grammercy Tools sells for about $140. It's gotten favorable comments here and elsewhere.

I'm very very happy with my Veritas carcass saws

Traditionally terminology. Carcass Saws were used for x grain work only. That was its primary difference to other backsaws.
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 03-17-2015 at 2:41 AM.

Veritas is a good deal and works well. Gramercy one looks better, but cuts maybe a little better, but is 2x cost. Old saws seem to have gotten expensive on ebay.
    I usually favor my tiny Veritas dovetail crosscut saw for quick cuts, just feels right.

Something around 16" long, with at least 3 1/2" of plate depth.
    That large, a steel back is better - brass that long is heavy.

If you're looking for vintage, Disston made lots in this size
    as companions to small wooden miter boxes.

FWIW - If I'm cutting something large enough to need that much saw,
    a fine tooth panel saw is plenty, easier to handle and less expensive.

Most of my 'final' sawing to get close on joinery is done with a smaller 10" backsaw, filed rip.
    I can't even tell you how many TPI - the teeth are so small.

I would suggest that the larger Backsaws are nice additions, but not essential to most kits.

I have the Veritas as well. Great saw. I couldn't be happier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derrell W Sloan View Post
    I'm very very happy with my Veritas carcass saws
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Not to hijack the thread here, but I am looking for a good general purpose joinery saw. Should I be looking at a 'carcass', 'crosscut' or 'tenon' style saw?

I have the pair of Veritas carcass saws in crosscut and rip. So far those are my only backsaws and I've used them for all the joinery on my projects thusfar. I can see maybe adding the 14tpi dovetail saw in the future for tiny boxes and drawers. I don't see much need for the tenon saw, as bigger tenons can be done with a rip panel saw.

I'm no expert, so take this for what it cost you

How you work has some bearing on what you need. I'm a hybrid woodworker, so that affects what I use most. If you religiously mark crosscuts with a knife, it's pretty easy to work with 1 saw filed for rip. A 12-16 TPI carcass size rip saw works well enough for tenons, dovetails, shoulders and crosscutting to length.

That said, I use my carcass (x-cut) more than any other saw. I have a dedicated dovetail saw that is nice for it's small size and a tenon (rip) saw that doesn't get much use. I mostly rough out my tenons on the table saw and finish with a router plane, so I don't need a tenon saw often.

If I wanted to saw tenons by hand, I'd probably want a rip saw with a somewhat coarser tooth pattern. 11-12 TPI, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Not to hijack the thread here, but I am looking for a good general purpose joinery saw. Should I be looking at a 'carcass', 'crosscut' or 'tenon' style saw?
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle