Thread: The Joy of...Scraping!

The Joy of...Scraping!

I had to get rid of some glue squeeze-out on several glued-up panels of 1/2" cherry, and thought of David Marks. His favorite finish is tung oil, but one of his favorite hand tools is a card scraper. Then I remember that several years ago, I bought a Woodsmith Scraper Sharpening System at a woodworking show. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but I never even took it out of the box until today.

In just a few minutes, I had the jig mounted on a scrap of wood and clamped to my workbench. I followed the instructions, and within about 5 minutes I had a sharpened card scraper. Thankfully I've seen Marks use one countless times, so I had an idea about the technique. (I can only recall Norm using one once.)

Well, I'm a convert. The scraper was easy to control, though my hands got a little tired. It took care of the squeeze-out in nothing flat. And when it needed resharpening, it only took a lick across the burnishing pin to bring it back. I'm hooked!
    Sam/Atlanta

Joy!

Sam,
    As you have so enthusiastically stated. JOY is finding the RIGHT tool for the RIGHT job. What could be better??

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Sam, scrapers are great! I use mine alll the time, you mentioned your hands get tired, Lee Valley makes a holder for scrapers, it is wonderfull. Veritas is the brand name. I have one and would not work without it. Over time, I have started to use less sanding, and more scraping. Veritas also makes a cabinet scraper, that works very good for glue squeeze out.
    Michael and Sally Pfau
    Grant Creek Woodworks
    Missoula Montana
    www.grantcreekwoodworks.com

Amen. A good scraper is used correctly is a great thing. I haven't sanded glue off a board in so long.

Scrapers are great! I can sharpen one in about 2 minures! You can push or pull so if the grain is changing you can quickly adjust! It is a great way to flush surfaces and keep control... Every woodworker should learn about using scrapers.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Thats strange. I have the same jig from Woodsmith. I've had it for years and finally started using it two nights ago to sharpen a scraper to remove glue squeeze out. I'm also sold on scrapers.

~mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carlson
    Thats strange. I have the same jig from Woodsmith. I've had it for years and finally started using it two nights ago to sharpen a scraper to remove glue squeeze out. I'm also sold on scrapers.
    That's a little spooky, Mark....
    Sam/Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Chambers
    I'm hooked!
    Nice pun you snuck in.
    Jim