Thread: Any experience with ideal air mini-splits for the shop?

Any experience with ideal air mini-splits for the shop?

The subject says it all. I've got a two car detached garage that I'm using as a shop and want to look into cooling it. I had insulation installed last year. I called a few HVAC folks to get quotes on installed mini splits and they were in the $3k-4k range. I might as well put in a traditional heat pump. They seemed reluctant to come vacuum out a system that I install myself, but I could twist some arms.

I found Ideal Air online, the lines come pre-charged and vacuumed, so no need for a pump or gauges or any of that. seems like a straightforward installation. Any experience here?
    Where did I put that?

Rob,

Months ago there was a very active thread about this topic. You should be a able to find it via search, there was some excellent conversation that addressed the questions you have.

I installed a mini-split system about two years ago and I prefer them to a duct system for large open rooms.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-17-2015 at 8:37 PM.

Thanks. It was lazy of me. I'll search. I'm sure I want a mini split. Just trying to find information on the brand. I like the idea of diy hookup.

Rob,

If people want to have another conversation about mini-splits again thats fine. I referenced the first thread for you because it had a lot of really good information.

I put a mini-split in my shop. I didn't have room for a traditional air handler so I went with a mini-split. I had convenient access to a 20a 220V line so I went with the most BTUs I could get with that line. I have a 3 car garage in Arizona with R17 doors and R30 ceiling, but the two side walls are uninsulated. The 2 Ton minisplit stuggles. If I pre-cool all night before it starts nice and cool. But once I put on the lights and start the machines it gradually heats up. I can start at 75 and by 2pm when it's 115 outside it's 85+ in the shop. A huge improvement but not super comfy. If doing again I'd buy a 3 ton unit and run a bigger electrical line. I paid like $2400 for the heat pump mini-split and $800 for installation.

Sounds like you need insulation on those walls.
    Where did I put that?

The Ideal ones are only SEER 15, that's not very good for a minisplit. The pre-vacuumed lines are nice, but a vacuum pump is only ~$100 or so.

I had to have my AC serviced last year, and asked the service man if they are installing mini split systems. He said they are installing many. So it seems they are becoming common. The high efficiency ratings make them desirable.

I'm less inclined towards Ideal Air. I've been emailing tech support. They require a surge protector- I can't wire it directly to a disconnect box. I can't find any outdoor rated surge protectors. I'd rather not have to mess with a disconnect going to an out let going to anothe box for the surge protector. I've gotten to know the HVAC tech who works on the house system. I'm gonna see if he can help with a Mitsubishi system.

My mini-split system is a Mitsubishi. The weather here in Virginia is comparable to yours in Georgia Rob so you should expect to see excellent performance and lower costs for both heating and air conditioning. Mine is almost impossible to hear it running and since there isn't any ductwork you don't get the cold or warm blast of air like most duct systems. When the heat pump that I have in my upstairs shop office needs to be replaced I will definately replace it with another Mitsubishi mini-split system.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Price View Post
    Sounds like you need insulation on those walls.
    I'd like to but doing that would require me to spend days and days taking the shop apart to clear the area on the side walls, or to drill holes in the stucco outside to have foam sprayed in the cavities.

When you do the math, machine motors and lights add a lot of heat to the environment. I have thirty six four foot fluorescent bulbs (high efficiency with high efficiency electronic ballasts). They draw 1670 watts. The dust collector is 5HP and the major tools are either 3HP or 5HP. Say the 5HP is 20 amps at 220V or 4400 watts. So 1670 for the lights, and 4400 for the dust collector and another 4400 for the machine. That would be over 10,000 watts or 2.8 Tons of AC just to offset the tools. Now, the tools aren't running full load (except the way my dust system is designed) but still I'm dumping say 6KW of energy into the room that has to be cooled. That's before the heat outside and the uninsulated side walls

I have a shop which is attached to my attached garage so a minisplit is an optimal way to go as code will not allow return air from a garage to go into a central air system.

Just to close the loop- all the DIY stuff I could find still required HVAC techs to install, troubleshoot, etc. by the time I bought a unit, all the electric supplies, disconnect box, and paid someone to hook it all up it didn't seem like a huge savings. Plus it's a no name made in China brand.

I called my HVAC folks and had a Trane mini-split Heat pump put in and I'm thrilled. Installed in half a day (instead of the week it would have taken me with an hour here and there). Both indoor and outdoor units are virtually silent- which is important because the shop backs up to our back yard where we spend a lot of time. 5 yr warranty with local tech support. We had our last cold snap last week- the heat pump worked very well, quickly warming up the shop. The only downside is that on heat mode, it overshoots the Tstat by 9 degrees. I guess to keep from rapid on/off cycles. But if I set it for 60 when I'm not in the shop, it heats to 69 before shutting off. It's by design, but I'll have to turn it off intermittently during the winter. No need to heat to 70 if I'm not there.
    Where did I put that?

I installed a multi split system a year ago in my shop. It has one 12,000 BTU air handler, and two 9,000 BTU air handlers. Inside my work area I have one 12,000 and one 9,000 BTU air handlers. I keep these set at 82 degrees. The last 9,000 BTU air handler in my office which I set at 78 degree. I used Eaton General Use Surge Protector (Auto-Off Safety) as my surge protection. You can find it at Lowes. About $70. It is mounted outside with the Compressor unit. It is waterproof thus requires no weather protection. Inside my work area I Have a Air filtration/circulation unit. Because of that Unit I clean my Filters once a week but so far I have found very little dust in the filters. I purchased my 30,000 BTU Multi spit unit from Pioneer in Miami. I found several local AC contractors who were all willing to install. I would recommend a mini or multi split for anyone with a shop they are looking to heat or cool. Yes mine is a Heat Pump not just cooling.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Price View Post
    They require a surge protector- I can't wire it directly to a disconnect box. I can't find any outdoor rated surge protectors.
    Here's an outdoor rated surge protector. They work for travel trailers and RV's.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute