Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Arrival! Sawstop PCS

New Arrival! Sawstop PCS

After I sold my Unisaw so quick I had to move fast. I was able to buy my new Sawstop PCS over the phone from Rockler in beautiful tax free Salem, NH. I saved on the big time $250 shipping charges by picking it up myself, too. They were over the top helpful, loading it in my pickup with a fancy pallet jack that is able to lift 4 ft. high.
    The specs:
    • Sawstop PCS 3hp w/ 36" fence
    • Moblie Base
    • Sliding Crosscut Table (out of stock but in transit)
    • Dado brake cartridge
    • Dado zero clearance insert
    • Extra brake cartridge for regular blade
    • Bonus free Overarm Dust Collection system

Fit perfectly in the back of my Ridgeline with the fence rails, rest of the stuff fit in the back seat.
    When I got home, I unpacked the main crate in the truck to lighten the load, then with 2 ea 8 ft ramps that I covered with 2 x 8 sheet of luan plywood, I laid it on it's back side and let it slide down the ramps with (limited) help from my wife, Gawd bless her.. Then at the bottom of the ramps with it upside down, I mounted the wheels and rolled it easily into the shop. I'll finish setting her up tonight!
    16658388138_19918ae9bf_z.jpg16649754528_25ca7c47c5.jpg16836987861_143cb003a6.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Kirkpatrick; 03-17-2015 at 3:33 PM.

Sweet! Congrats!!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

You sure do move fast, unisaw out, SawStop in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jebediah Eckert View Post
    You sure do move fast, unisaw out, SawStop in.
    Yeah....my wife just shakes her head at me.

Cool! I think you will love it. Post more pic's when assembled. I really want to know what you think of the cross-cut.

Hay Jim, congratulations. I am getting anxious mine is due in later in the month.

Congratulations. You'll LOVE putting it together. Wonderful manuals. Have fun!

Jim, congrats. You will enjoy the saw for many years.

Mike

Enjoy the unboxing and setup experience. As dumb as it sounds, I really enjoyed the process- they thought it through!

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Congratulations. You'll LOVE putting it together. Wonderful manuals. Have fun!
    16661769810_f7fa40df42.jpg16849133435_8cebdfc859.jpg

I didn't get as far as I thought I would tonight. I was hoping to get the fence up but I have to wait until the sliding table arrives. I need to cut the fence tube and rails on the left side of the blade because you do not install the left extension table when you buy the sliding crosscut table. Also, the switch box can't be installed because it normally attaches to the left ext. table. Guess I'll have to wait. BTW, the sliding tables as of now are on national backorder. I got the last one in stock at CPO Tools.

What Prashun and Peter were saying about the great manuals and Sawstop getting it right are spot on. The manual is over 100 page spiral bound book in color!
    16641022387_8f083ec42b.jpg16662206399_33187090f3.jpg

And no parts bags! All the hardware is sorted in this kind of advent calendar-card. Color coded in groups for each assembly task.
    16848334035_477de2be86.jpg

Turn the card over to access the parts and it's color coded and labeled on that side too:
    16847306311_85d8263ee2.jpg16662342349_8899644b60.jpg

And BTW, this one card are all the parts needed to assemble the saw. Very minimal. There are more for the fence assembly and mobile base, of course.

The table surfaces are covered with the usual oily grease except they use a very thin oil which as per the manual, I wiped off with an old tee shirt. I found the remaining residue cleaned up nicely with mineral spirits.
    16661375560_c83c10dbe7.jpg
    Thoughts so far:
    • The mobile base is some very slick engineering. It was easy to assemble and they work flawlessly, Step on the big pedal and it raises up easily and with authority. Step on the smaller pedal to lower it and it comes down just as easily and makes a reassuring thunk when it hits the floor. I wouldn't recommend buying a PCS without them.
    • The table surfaces are milled nicely to almost a mirror finish. The hand wheels have a nice finish too.
    • They really do have the assembly down, the parts went together without any fuss. Although the extension tables are best put together with 2 people. It can be done with one but I had a heck of a time by myself.
    • Lastly, I had a nutty trying to find the owners manual. I went through the trash twice looking for it, turns out it's stored inside the plastic motor cover along with the miter gauge, blade wrenches and tool hanger

I'll post more pics when the slider and overhead dust arm arrives.
    Last edited by Jim Kirkpatrick; 03-17-2015 at 9:32 PM.

Congrats! If you're antsy, now's the time to check the blade to miter slot alignment & the 90 and 45 bevel stops. Both are easier to adjust with the extension tables off.

I've had mine with the exact configuration (minus the sliding table) for two years now. It is a really sweet saw, even without the safety aspects.

I bought mine about a year ago, it is partially set up. It is a stright forward assembly. I still have to finish the 220 v hook-up. I have to cover up my foam walls before the inspector comes to check it out. My experience with it is very similar too yours, but hopefully u can power it up sooner than me. Dan

I have the PCS as well. I set it up and everything went very well. The most frustrating thing about the whole process was I had it completely setup but I was 6" too far from the wall outlet to plug it in... Scooted it over a bit and I was ready to go.

Checked the blade real quick with a square on the miter slot, then the fence, no adjustment needed, so I started cutting. I LOVE it.

Congrats. I've had mine for a little more than a year and grin every time I use it.