Thread: Dust Collection Assistance Needed

Dust Collection Assistance Needed

I have a older model Grizzly model G1028 powering my dust collection system. A long time ago I got rid of the old bags (30 micron) and converted over to a larger and better filtering bag. At the same time I got rid of the bottom bag and bought a coupling skirt to connect the dust collector to a 30 gallon steel garbage can. The coupling skirt uses a nylon strap to cinch around the top of the can. At least that's the theory. In practice I cannot draw the strap tight enough to prevent a significant amount of dust blowing by when I turn my system on.

Should I just buy another stainless steel band clamp and just use that in place of the nylon strap? Unfortunately this would make emptying the bag a much more onerous chore.
    Should I get some foam weather stripping and wrap it around the top of the can where the nylon strap would engage? Is so what density? And does anyone have a recommended source?
    Does anyone have any other recommendations/suggestions?
    Wood'N'Scout

For the price of the foam weather stripping try it. It will probably improve either the nylon or steel band clamp so you can try it with the nylon and see if you need to go back to the band clamp or not.

Big hose clamp. Works really well.

When I had new bags made for my one dust collector, I had them hem a piece of shock cord at the top. Probably doesn't do much for sealing, but holds the bag on nicely when you're getting the clamp tight