Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First turnings in a while.....a prelude....I think.....

First turnings in a while.....a prelude....I think.....

I haven't done any turning for several years. A few weeks ago a neighbor asked me to turn a spindle for a chair he was refurbishing for his FIL. Then a week later a deaf friend asked me to turn some bottle stoppers. I struggled with a finish. For some reason, I could not get my favorite Deft lacquer to work even after I bought a new can. Then after some questions here and some online research, I settled on a CA and BLO finish shown in a youtube video.

As I was finishing them I spied a bunch of blanks laying near my lathe....and my Jamison hollowing rig........and a brand new Sorby Spiral tool I bought but never used......

I've got new windows being installed in upcoming weeks and I am doing the exterior and interior trim. I want to pre-finish the trim material to speed up the process but....I think I see some larger turning in my near future....f

Here they are...

bs1.jpgbs2.jpgbs3.jpgbs4.jpgbs5.jpgbs6.jpgbs7.jpgbs8.jpg
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 03-17-2015 at 11:01 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken

Ken, a nice group of stoppers.

Wow, that's quite a collection there. Also a nice variety of colors in the different woods. Nice work Ken!
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sawmillcreek.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=136853&dateline=14260 43453[/SIGPIC]
    They say "Riding a bike is good excercise", so I bought two of them, Harley Davidson Ultra Classic LTD, Big Dog K-9 Chopper

Really nice Ken! Can you elaborate a bit on the finish process? Also, where did you get the inserts? Really nice touch.

Doug

Very nice group of stoppers!
    Billy

I got the inserts at CSUSA and the finishing process I got from this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-FXOsMR2tY

Thanks everybody!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 03-17-2015 at 11:57 PM.
    Ken

Those are really nice stoppers Ken. I always like them with the top as the widest point. The finish looks good too. Glad to see you turning again. I thought I might have to come up there and confiscate that poor lonely mustard monster.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Nice! I like the stone inserts. How long for that finish to dry?
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

The whole collection is very nice. Thanks for the YouTube link. I'll have to watch that. Now I just need my lathe delivered!

Red
    RED

Wow, someone's been a busy boy.
    The stoppers look great, I've never turned them. May just have to give them a try.

Nice stoppers. Quite a variety. I get asked for them occasionally and just gave away the next-to-last one that I had turned, so I need to make a few more myself.

Those look like some of Ruth Niles SS stoppers. I like her new ones that stand on their own.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Nice stoppers Ken. I like paduck 1. How did you get the burn rings in the top? Thanks for the finishing link. I had used the BLO before, but I started with CA. I'll try this way next time.

ok, I'm still in suspense! You have the woods identified, what one smelled like "pickles"?
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I'm not a stopper maker but recognize the skill you put into these. Nice wood selections and I like how they are all a different design. Good looking piece Ken.

William,

It was the bocote that smelled like dill pickles.

The rings in the top were first cut with a skew and then burnished with a sharp point on the end of a scrap piece of walnut.

James, the finish dries in less than 2 minutes....when the stopper comes off the lathe, I buff them and they are done.
    Ken