Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Customer Conversations - Add Yours

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Maloney View Post
    Well it just happened again:

Customer: Do you offer wholesale pricing?
    Me: Yes - How many would you like?
    Customer: 1
    I hate to say it, but that's not that unusual. I'm an ASI member and "regularly" buy small quantities from distributors at wholesale pricing. You're better off saying something along the lines of "We don't offer wholesale pricing, but I do give quantity discounts" or something like "We do offer wholesale pricing but we have a minimum order of $XXX". I've also dealt with vendors who really didn't want to offer wholesale pricing so their "wholesale pricing" was like 10-15% off.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Maloney View Post
    Well it just happened again:

Customer: Do you offer wholesale pricing?
    Me: Yes - How many would you like?
    Customer: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    I hate to say it, but that's not that unusual. I'm an ASI member and "regularly" buy small quantities from distributors at wholesale pricing. You're better off saying something along the lines of "We don't offer wholesale pricing, but I do give quantity discounts" or something like "We do offer wholesale pricing but we have a minimum order of $XXX". I've also dealt with vendors who really didn't want to offer wholesale pricing so their "wholesale pricing" was like 10-15% off.
    And let's be clear... "wholesale" means you sell to retailers, not end customers. Wholesale is not synonymous with "discounted rate", it is merely an indication of the supply chain.

A customer who asks for "wholesale pricing" should be responded to with "What retail establishment will you be selling the item through?" If they cannot answer, then suggest they mean "quantity discount", not "wholesale pricing". Your wholesale cost may be lower, but it doesn't have to be, other than the quantity discount that would come into effect anyway. If the quantity becomes "one", then the quantity discount is 0%.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

3. Not engraving but had a guy walk in once with a 25mm diameter bar and wanted a 30mm diameter hole cross drilling into it.
    I asked him which half he wanted to keep but it didn't sink in.
    John S.
    Nottingham UK.

Generic Chinese 500 x 300 laser with Laserworks V6.0_____ VCarve pro and Aspire._____ Techno Isel router 300 x 300
    Roland CAM 2200 drag engraver.____ Sieg KX1 CNC Mill.______ Sieg KX3 CNC Mill. _____ Plus loads of crap

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Stevenson View Post
    Not engraving but had a guy walk in once with a 25mm diameter bar and wanted a 30mm diameter hole cross drilling into it.
    I asked him which half he wanted to keep but it didn't sink in.
    Obviously he meant he wanted a 30mm radius hole, John
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Customer : Do you do metal business cards?

Me : We can, it depends on what you are looking for, can you tell me what you're looking for? Stainless Steel? Anodized aluminum? Cut out? Just engraved?

Customer : I like the look of the colored aluminum.

Me : We can do that, there are some stock sizes available, and if we need to go outside of that or have anything custom cut into the blanks, we can have them custom cut by a machine shop that does that for us, but that can get quite expensive, depending on the complexity of the cut and the number of them you want. The stock sizes are the lowest cost because we can buy the blanks already cut and just engrave them. As long as there are no custom cuts, that's going to be the most economical way to make what you're asking for.

Customer : Great! No custom cuts, let's just use the stock blanks. I'll email my logo to you shortly.

:::::email coming in:::::::

Customer email : I've included the file, I'd like to have the shape cut out of the middle and the rest engraved using the stock blanks.

Me : :::::::sigh::::::::::
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Obviously he meant he wanted a 30mm radius hole, John
    And again Dan, one asks, "which half does he want to keep."
    Epilog mini 24 30W
    Epilog mini 24 60W
    Epilog Legend 36 EXT 120W

Were I Work ( Power generation) I have people ask me for lables " about the size of a post it note" or " about A4 size" etc.

then they say Oh thats not the right size and the text is the wrong size too.

I now show a lable with the following on :-

If you require a lable, Please Draw it with dimensions and text size
    or else

Power station staff ( including Engineers and Managers) are not very bright !!!!!
    Last edited by Mike Null; 04-17-2015 at 8:32 AM. Reason: implied language

The funny thing is, I don't get a lot of those type of customers. I've been dealing with the public and 'adult(?)' students for over 45 years so maybe I subconsiously head off most of the stupid questions before they hit home. I occasionally get calls from ditzy brides that never seem to read or understand any instructions I send them. I.E. the 1/2" high 72 dpi .gif they want engraved 10" high on a wooden plaque to be framed. I explain that its going to look like a field of bowling balls, but they say nooo it looks great here are you sure you're looking at it right?
    There's an old saying:
    When you're dead you don't know it, so it's only a problem for other people.
    It's the same when you're stupid!
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Customer: Do you do laser cutting?
    Me: Yes, but it depends on what you need cut.
    Customer: It's a steel plate..... but it's only 1 inch thick...
    Me: ummmm...
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I have a sign on my wall that reads

"Seriously! I don't know when the aliens arrived and dropped off all the stupid people but apparently they aren't coming back for them"
    You did what !

My experience with people and a lot of them is the stone soup technique and i still fall for it.
    They start off with a real basic request,then its discussed to no end many emails and priced
    Then its all changed and becomes something very complicated a whole lot more work and the price must not change
    and the wood is not ordinary.
    Stone soup --a guy comes to the door and asks to borrow a pot holding 2 stones,person asks why the stones and whats the pot for
    "stone soup--he says,the giving person laughs and gives him the pot ,he then asks for 2 cups of water,then he says that a few carrots would go nicely with the stones
    and it goes on with potatoes being added maybe some left over meat pieces and other vegetables --this is what people do when they want something for next to nothing and get away with it

I had a very frustrating customer this week. I have had 4 visits from the mother, father and daughter. Each time they visit they change things a little and I say "here is the price, would you like to go ahead"?, each time one of them says "I will get back to you"

Today I get a call "Is it ready yet"?. Me - "You were going to get back to me with a go ahead". Angry customer "I really need it today". Me "Sorry, I can have it ready in two days". This was not good enough.

I find it hard to believe that people can act like this.
    Universal Laser VLS6.60, Tantillus 3D printer, Electronic design
    edns Group, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand

I had an encounter with one of my customers that was pretty infuriating. I do work for a big university nearby, and they are mostly pleasant to deal with, but their football team always places a big order once a year at the last minute and it's like pulling teeth to get payment. They picked their order up 60 days ago and it says at the bottom of the invoice "please remit payment withing 30 days. If payment is not received, a 10% late fee will be added to the total bill". Well, I had reminded them at 30 days and let it slide but finally had it and re-issued with the fee. I got a nasty email from the billing department that said "We don't get funding for late fees, so please issue another bill with the late fee taken off because we don't pay them". What!? I replied that that was unacceptable and they said they would have to go with another vendor next year if I insisted on charging a late fee. I told them next year I would choose not to do business with customers who choose not to pay on time. Got the check today....without the late fee. Ugh.
    Legacy lasers 1100 series 80 wattTrotec 25 watt speedy 1 (10 years old)2 champion 1900 table engravers.UScutter 24" Laser plotter

I would send them another bill for the late fee and add 10% to it for having to reissue and if their business wasn't crucial and you could do ok with out it I'd tell them to find another vendor. Sounds like they think they can do just what they want ,pay when they feel like it and tell you to stick your fee's after you went above and beyond and reminded them at 30 days and waited another 30 after that. Better yet tell them you want 50% up front before any work is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Ashlin View Post
    I had an encounter with one of my customers that was pretty infuriating. I do work for a big university nearby, and they are mostly pleasant to deal with, but their football team always places a big order once a year at the last minute and it's like pulling teeth to get payment. They picked their order up 60 days ago and it says at the bottom of the invoice "please remit payment withing 30 days. If payment is not received, a 10% late fee will be added to the total bill". Well, I had reminded them at 30 days and let it slide but finally had it and re-issued with the fee. I got a nasty email from the billing department that said "We don't get funding for late fees, so please issue another bill with the late fee taken off because we don't pay them". What!? I replied that that was unacceptable and they said they would have to go with another vendor next year if I insisted on charging a late fee. I told them next year I would choose not to do business with customers who choose not to pay on time. Got the check today....without the late fee. Ugh.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I would move on without the late fee this year. Next year if they come back, I would stipulate that they have to pay the total or provide a purchase order from the university at pickup. A 10% late fee is high, most people would charge 18% per year or 1.5% per month interest charge for the unpaid balance. That does not mean you will get it, but charge you may.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving