Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Customer Conversations - Add Yours

Favorite Customer Conversations - Add Yours

Customer: Do you offer wholesale pricing on this item?
    Me: Yes! How many would you like?
    Customer: 2
    Epilog 40W Mini24, Corel X8 (64-bit), and two big fire extinguishers.

Me: When do you need it?
    Customer: No hurry at all, a couple weeks is fine, I have no set date I need to have it by.
    Me: Alright, give us about two weeks and we'll call you when it's ready.
    Customer: Sounds great!

(next day)
    Me: (Answering phone) Can I help you?
    Customer: Yes, I was in there yesterday with a project, I just wanted to see if was ready for me to pick up.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Good morning, Laser Image:

1 - So I've got really bad toenail fungus and want to know how much you charge?
    2 - How much do you charge for tattoo removal?
    3 - How much do you charge for engraving?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    Good morning, Laser Image:

1 - So I've got really bad toenail fungus and want to know how much you charge?
    2 - How much do you charge for tattoo removal?
    3 - How much do you charge for engraving?
    I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I have had this conversation many times.

Customer: I will be ordering a lot more in the future if this works out.
    Me: Sounds great!

Never heard back from any of them at all.
    Epilog 40W Mini24, Corel X8 (64-bit), and two big fire extinguishers.

Morning,
    Customer: I love your work and want xxx stationery suite, how much is it?
    Me: With all your quantities etc the total comes to £7800
    Customer: oooh thats quite a lot, I really love it...is there anyway you can do it for £300
    Me: (static noise) you are (static) breaking (static) up (Click)!

Ed your one made me crack up! Hilarious!

Jit Patel
    London UK

30w Trotec Speedmarker CL (Galvo) with 400mm & 250mm lens
    80w Trotec Speedy 400 with Rotary, Vacuum Table, Cutting Lamellas, 2" & 1.5" lens, Pass through
    Oki Printing Press
    Abobe Creative Suite - Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign.
    Vector Magic

All the time: "How much does it cost to [insert completely nondescript custom one-off job]?

Bonus points: "I have the artwork; I'll send it in an e-mail." <sends e-mail> Artwork is a thumbnail.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Customer: I made a mistake. Can you fix it?
    Me: Sorry, I cannot in this case. I can replace it for you for (normally much less than the original price).
    Customer: You can't just fix it?

My favorite was a customer from a few weeks ago. They ordered some solid brass letters for a plaque he and his son were building. Well, they really needed plastic 1/8" thick letters if they wanted to match up to a previous order. Would have saved him about $600-700 I believe. I also told them the process of how to do the job on at least 5 separate occasions. He either didn't want to listen or didn't get it at all. I really hope it works out for them but doing a 325 plate perpetual plaque probably isn't the best idea for an Eagle Scout project.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

" I have a lot of contacts in this field. If you do this for me (for nothing of course), it will generate a lot of business for you"

Real Mercier
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 W
    Roland PNC1000
    CorelDraw X3
    FlexiSign 7.6

"I'm doing a project for this charity as a donation. (today it was for the police wives association) I'll need some really sharp pricing or maybe you'd like to donate your services." I wouldn't so now what?

It never seems to occur to people that I might have my own charities or groups that I help out with low prices or free work. And I'm old enough and busy enough that I have very little patience for such people.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Client: I'd like mine and fiance's name engraved onto this nice wooden spoon.
    Me: No probs, write your names down on this piece of paper.
    Me: Engrave as required.

Client on pickup of item (sheepishly): Thats not the correct spelling on fiancé's name.
    Me: You wrote it down. OK, I'll buzz it off in the rotary, and start again. You write her name down again.
    Me: Engrave as required, then leave item out for him to pick up over weekend.

Client phone call on weekend: Spelling is wrong again, (he's laughing by now) my Fiance will kill me, can you engrave again.
    Me: Yes.
    Me: Buzz off in rotary and engrave again. This time it was correct.

At least he laughed about it. Dunno how he'll go remembering anniversaries etc, he's in for a hell of a life !!!

My company name is Williams & Sons Engraving. When people find it online or wherever, that's what they find.
    Because I'd rather 'be myself' rather than all-business like, I always just answer the phone "Williams & Sons".

About 3 times a week, the first question I get from new callers is "Do you do engraving?"

But my favorite-est exchange was getting a phone call from a guy, all frantic, that went something like:
    "I have a problem! I just bought 4000 frying pans from China, and I just found out before I can sell them
    they have to say "made in China" on them! Can you do that??"
    "Sure, do you have one I can look at?"
    "Yeah, I'll be right over!"

The pans were quite small, STEEL not aluminum, maybe 4" in diameter, and there's no way to batch-engrave them. One-at-a-time job, which I explain.

"Ok, you have 4000 pans, I'll them for $5000, $1.25 each.
    He turned white. I just killed his dream...
    "Uh, I only paid $1000 for them!"
    well...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Them: if I bring a case of beer around will you discount the job?

Me, Yes!

haha
    Universal Laser VLS6.60, Tantillus 3D printer, Electronic design
    edns Group, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand

Customer : How much for 1000 of these to be made

Me: $20 a pop

Customer: I will take 5 .. thats $100

Me: 5 will cost you $50 a pop..thats $250

Customer : But Im going to take 1000 , the 5 are just the first order

me: Ok , pay $50 a pop for the 5 and when you order the 995 balance , we will credit you the difference

Customer has no answer for THAT!!!
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
    If the toe fungus was a one-off it wouldn't be so bad, I get that call about once a month.