Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Customer Conversations - Add Yours

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Customer walks in the door, asks if he can get a price on name tags. Not a problem. I show him some samples and he says "those are nice, but I need them to be double sided".

I didn't even know how to respond to that. I'm sure I looked quite stupid with my mouth hung open a little, not saying a word, trying to process exactly what he just said.

Uh, how else do you know their name when you walk up behind them...

Them:So I want a quanity discount. How much for 10, 50 and 200 pieces.
    Me: Ok, here is the pricing $10 Each (10), $7 (50) Each, $3.50 (200).
    Them: A few days laters. Ok I will take 10 pieces, for $3.50 each.
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

While not for engraving work, I get the "I can bring you so much work!" line all the time. Please, bring me work, I will charge them less for not using that stupid line trying to get a discount.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hilton View Post
    While not for engraving work, I get the "I can bring you so much work!" line all the time. Please, bring me work, I will charge them less for not using that stupid line trying to get a discount.
    So true. I'd be a millionaire about 10 times over if all those promises came through.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

My customer who always wants something time consuming and custom done CHEAPLY, messages me about something and ask the standard question

"How much"

Me - having to invest time creating a vector file of what she wants and know I am going to have more time in that than she will repay in the volume of doing it.

"how many do you want?"

Her reply - "depends on cost"

I have explained it over and over again, but it seems the time to create what can be lasered is somehow expected to be free to her and just to be given away for doing work for her and another or two she has me do for her that she sells to them. I have spent more time than I want to tell everyone here for what ended up being ONE item and never again did any more. It is a sore spot for me, and I have just refused to do some things because it wasn't worth the time I would have to spend to do one or two for her. I have tried to persuade her to buy Corel Draw and spend countless hours learning to use it then she could sit and spend HER time creating these projects she want me to do for little to nothing.

Still waiting for that to happen
    Universal Laser ILS 12.150D (48"x24") 135 watts total, with 60 watt and 75 watt laser cartridges. Class 4 Module (pass thru ability). Photograv 3.0, Corel X6, Adobe Design Standard CS4 Suite, Engrave Lab laser Version 8, Melco Single Head Comercial Embroidery Machine, The Magic Touch System with Oki C711WT printer, and Graphtec CE6000-60 plotter.

I typically charge based on a standard rate and then adjusted to the client. Something I've found that works for me in those situations is to send out a price sheet. I don't publish my rates online but I do keep a standardized price sheet and contract handy in case I get an aggressive haggler. I quote a rate (never a flat fee for a haggler! Ever) and if they start in with the lines I say "Why don't I send you my rate sheet and a quote and you can decided from there?" Seeing it in writing has an effect and usually they just accept it. Published rates have an undue influence on a persons thought process. Ever seen anyone haggle for the price of a burger at McDonalds?

We have very nice customers that order for non profits. They all want a special price. My answer is "everyone pays the same low price". If in fact I give them a better price to make the sale happen quickly and there is still meat left on the bone, they still want a better price. My answer is "this is your price and there are no further discounts." If that doesn't do it for them, such is life. On the way out they normally ask "Can you buy an ad in our.......?" My answer is no, if we buy one from you we have to buy one from everyone. Why open Pandora's box?
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Quote Originally Posted by Chris DeGerolamo View Post
    ME>"What kind of font do you have in mind?"

THEM>"I dunno, just pick something. I trust your experience."
    Just went thru this one myself. Got a call from a guy about laser etching a graphic on a knife. Afterwards he sends me the following email:

You can place graphic where you best see fit. Looking forward to working
    with you in future. First graphic is the knife it's going on. Second
    attachment is the graphic I want engraved. Thanks for your help

I take his photo of the knife, superimpose the graphic where I best saw fit.
    Then I get an email from his wife:

Thanks again for doing this knife (and hopefully many more) for us.
    We can't wait to see the finished product.
    Hate to be a burden but had a question - is there any way to see it slightly different?
    Either with the image a little smaller and moved up towards the top of the blade,
    OR turned sideways and placed parallel to the guard?
    Wasn't sure if your machine had the capability to do that or not.

So much for "as I see fit".

And an fyi -- I engrave double-sided name tags/plates all the time. Key fobs are best example of double sided tags I can think of, just did a batch for the local Civil Air Patrol's airplanes...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    And an fyi -- I engrave double-sided name tags/plates all the time. Key fobs are best example of double sided tags I can think of, just did a batch for the local Civil Air Patrol's airplanes...
    In my case, it was name tag to be worn on the shirt. If I engraved both sides, where was I going to put the magnet? How was it going to be stuck to the shirt?
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Both sides of a name badge IS a little strange...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    In my case, it was name tag to be worn on the shirt. If I engraved both sides, where was I going to put the magnet? How was it going to be stuck to the shirt?
    OBVIOUSLY you were supposed to embed the magnet inside the plastic...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I got one that goes the other way around. This was a (rather short) conversation between a customer and a former employee...

Customer: I'm sorry. I'm a little off today. My dog got hit by a car this morning.
    Employee: I understand - I haven't had my coffee yet, so I know how you feel...
    4 - Q1 converted New Hermes C2000's
    Signature 8080 Plus
    Universal 50w X2-600
    Universal 60w X-660
    Epilog 60w Fusion 40
    50w 5070 China Special

Great Bedside manor Former because of this ?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Leavitt View Post
    I got one that goes the other way around. This was a (rather short) conversation between a customer and a former employee...

Customer: I'm sorry. I'm a little off today. My dog got hit by a car this morning.
    Employee: I understand - I haven't had my coffee yet, so I know how you feel...
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Well it just happened again:

Customer: Do you offer wholesale pricing?
    Me: Yes - How many would you like?
    Customer: 1
    Epilog 40W Mini24, Corel X8 (64-bit), and two big fire extinguishers.

15. I had a call from a potential customer quite a few years back asking where I was located. After I told her, she told me she was one town over and that was too far. Felt like saying "Oh, I'm sorry. Should I bring all my equipment over to you?" That is a true townee.
    Epilog 35 Watt Mini 12" x 24"
    New Hermes V3400
    Kwikprint 55
    CorelDraw 2017, Illustrator, Photoshop