Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reposting a message from Doug Thompson - weekend benefit

reposting a message from Doug Thompson - weekend benefit

This message was posted to the forum on WoodCentral. It's a good cause, and an incredibly good offer from Doug we can all participate in. Please read:

Subject:
    It's time to pull together to help one of our own.
    Posted By:
    Doug Thompson
    Date:
    3/18/2015, 1:12 am

It's time to pull together to help one of our own.
    I give and give and give but rarely ask for help but I'm asking now. A good friend of mine Jorge Castaneda recently lost his shop when snow collapsed the roof. He turns for a living and can't afford to rebuild the shop that he needs so badly. I saw a post on FB that hurt me bad and I'm going to do something about... here's what's going to happen.
    From this Friday night at midnight March 20th to Sunday night at midnight March 22 the benefit will happen.
    Purchase tools off my web site http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/pricelist.asp THEN Post your name and the total amount including shipping purchased on a separate thread to be created Friday night for Jorge here... 100% of the money will be donated to Jorge.
    I absorb the manufacturing costs, shipping because your shipping cost will go to Jorge, the taxes on that money... everything.
    Post this all over the internet but let Jorge and I know where it was posted and remember to start a new thread Friday night to keep track of the totals.
    I always tell people not to buy a lot of tools but this weekend you need a extra tool or two or three. If you purchase a handle it will have your name plus a extra "JC Benefit" so you can remember that you helped.
    I don't do this for a living and I'm big on helping others, the homeless, food banks, kids with cancer and their families. Pay it ahead are the best words we can live by... Give because it makes you feel good to help out another person. It's time to help... if we do $1,000 I'm going to feel like a fool for wasting my time, $5,000 I'll have a smile but the goal is $10,000 REMEMBER 100% of the purchase will go directly to Jorge. I'm not playing the game to give a percentage off so I can make money and gets a little bit... It's 100%... all the money... remember that when you buy.
    Here's Jorge's story if you don't know him;
    I am Jorge Castañeda, a builder and woodworker in general, located in rural Maine. I love trees and wood and have been a pro wood worker for the last half-century: ships, boats, houses, furniture and of late a bowl turner…
    I started JC Turnings in 2006, and from day one people liked my bowls and started buying them.
    Then in 2008 a stroke pretty much ended my commercial building days. I started putting all my time into turning, which was immediately rewarding, and all of a sudden, the bowl business took off and now has a life of its own.
    I sell my bowls and platters at Farmer’s Markets and festivals around Maine and sales are steadily growing, to the point that last year I had trouble keeping pace with the demand.
    A shed to store building materials was also my makeshift workshop. Alas, that shed came to a sudden end with the last snowstorm, when the weight of the snow crushed it beyond repair. Somehow it must be replaced, as my income from the bowls I sell supplements my small pension, and I need a proper space to keep turning.
    A smaller shop would be ideal, so it is easier to build and easier to heat in the winter. With a winterized shop, I could produce bowls all year-round, and have a small space to use as a storefront.
    That's why I decided to ask you to help me rebuild my shop, and be part of helping my small business grow. I like to do things to help others and my community, and hope to be able to give back to other people’s projects in the future, as I have done in the past. I would be extremely grateful for any aid. Thank you so much.

Jeff, thanks for posting this. I may not NEED a new tool now, but I'm going to buy some anyway. Doug's generous gesture in response to Jorge's story is a testament to the kindness of our woodturning community.

Thank you Jeff for reposting. I will purchase a tool and handle.

Thank you Doug, you are truly one of a kind.

Having strong Maine ties, I know first hand the difficulties of making a living as a craftsman in the State, especially in the Acadia region. I'll be ordering a few things.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

I'm thinking it's time for a new tool, or two.. Thanks for posting.
    Just as I was getting used to yesterday, along came today....

Doug Thompson, you are a stud.
    USMC '97-'01

I don't NEED another tool, but I will buy a scraper blank and a tool handle this weekend.... Thanks Doug! I see he has had to put a limit on the benefit - $20,000 when he reaches that goal he will shut down the site until Monday.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Count me in.....need some spindle tools anyway! To Doug, thanks for doing this.
    TB

Thanks Doug a worthy cause!

Bump.....................

Wish I had seen this before. I ordered a new bowl gouge and handle the other day. I could have waited.

Sorry, duplicate post
    Last edited by Michael Mills; 03-21-2015 at 11:49 AM.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

All I really needed was a 3/8 detail which I ordered early this am.
    Per Doug's posting at Wood Central, the goal of $20K was met at 10:30 this am.

Great job Doug.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Hi All

I just got off the phone with Doug. They hit around $20k and he has cut it off. I went to the web site and you can't get to the price list or the order function. So good job everyone and kudos to Doug for a really amazing contribution.

15. Wow, thats awesome!! Woodturners taking care of their own. I love it!! Now I don't feel so bad or not seeing this early enough.