Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Pick-Up Truck

Looking for a Pick-Up Truck

I know we've had a few threads on this but I think my specifics deserves a whole new one!

I've driven a 1990 Toyota 2x4 plain jane Pick-Up for the last 10 years. It was a basic, basic model, 4-banger (22R) "bullet-proof" engine, no A/C, no nothing. It was and continues to be the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. It only as 114k miles on it. The next owner will get a fabulous truck! It looks like hell but runs like a champ. It's hauled plenty of stuff with its butt scraping the road and never complained.

Anyway, I'm ready to move up and am looking for a few more options.

What I really want in a small truck:

(1) Extra cab
    (2) Long bed
    (3) Manual Tranny
    (4) 2x4
    (5) A/C

I'd like to get a Toyota Tacoma but it doesn't appear that any of them have very long beds. Further, it appears the extra cab (of the various kinds) eat seriously into the bed length.

Who else should I look at for my quest? I absolutely want to stay small truck to maintain decent fuel mileage so a 4-banger is fine but V6s aren't out of the question.

I'd like to get new but if new doesn't have everything, what should I look for in the used small truck market?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I don't think what you're looking for is out there. I have a 2004 Tacoma pretty much like you say you want, but the bed is only 6'. I built a platform for hauling sheetgoods that works well, sits between the wheels, and has room under for sticks. When I was looking I also wanted to be able to load sheets in the bed with the tailgate up, but couldn't find anything with an extended cab and an 8' bed. This Tacoma is the 6th Toyota we have owned and all have had in excess of 100,000 miles when we disposed of them. One had 214,000 still ran well and the A/C worked (really importaint on the Texas Gulf coast). I've found that if you do the recommended maintanance on them you have to shoot them to get them to quit running.

I would have thought the obvious solution, given your proclivities, was a 530xi Sport Wagon...and about an hour with Mr. Chainsaw to open the bed up.

Cecil, I was afraid of that but I don't think I'll leave Toyota's trucks if I can help it. I've seen some old ones running around with "1-ton" and "long-bed" written on them. I think even a 4-door Prerunner Tacoma (Auto only near as I can tell) is labeled as "long-bed" but I don't know what "long" means....

Well, durn it, Lee...now why didn't I think of that!

Chris. These are the trucks I've had experience with;
    1986 Toyota 4x4. Had it for 4 years, put 110,000 on it. with no problems until it was rearended and totaled on the freeway.

1989 Toyota V6, 4x4 xtracab. Had it for 13 years. I put 344,000 miles on it and it was still running fine when I sold it.

2001 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4, xtra cab. It currently has 86,000 miles. I've done nothing to it except put in a Linex sprayed in bedliner.

I have never had a repair bill with my Toyota's, and I ain't easy on trucks. I do gas, filters, brake pads and oil changes and that's about it. No babying.
    I can't speak for the 2005, but my current truck has a "6 ft" bed, it's actually a few inches longer. If the current Xtra cabs are eating into bed length that would be a shame. I have a 2x4 frame that rests on the truck bed rails and clamps in in place, and I've hauled alot of material on this frame.
    I would stick with the Toyota's if that's what you are comfotable with, and adapt the truck to suit your need, or get a light lowboy style trailer with a hydraulic gate and box, like an EZ Dumper.
    If you have never had a truck with an Xtra cab, give it some serious thought, after 16 years of having one, I wouldn't own a truck without one, no matter whom the vehicle manufacture. It also keeps the resale value higher.
    Good luck, vehicle shopping can be stressful.

Go to a full size quad cab and the short bed on them is 6.5 feet.

A 4x8 sheet of ply will lay flat with the tailgate down and leave enough room to use an "L" shaped thingie (tech term) to keep the ply from sliding rearward, when strapped to the cleats.

A long bed quad cab is not easy to park anywhere.

I'm with Hal on this one. I Used to own an 02 S-10 ext cab and although it was a great truck I moved up to an 05 Silverado 4 door with 6.5 ft bed. The dealer made me an offer that was just to good to pass up. I love the truck just have to be a little careful parking the beast. My wife owns a Saburban and when they are parked side by side my truck is a full 18" longer then hers. The wheel base is longer. I throw full sheets in the back all of the time with no problem. I've been thinking of getting one of these for it..

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47591

Last edited by Don Baer; 08-02-2005 at 8:05 PM.

Tundra Access Cab or Tundra 4-dr would be what I'd suggest based on my experience with my 2000 Tundra Access Cab Limited. Fabulous and the ride/comfort approaches the Chrysler 300M I drove previous to the truck. (And I'm keeping it "forever"...only have 47600 miles on it) The bed is only 6.5', but I have never found that to be a limit. With the gate down, 8' goods are fully supported, and I have one of those doo-hickies that go in the hitch to support longer boards...cheap from Harbor Freight. I think that if you want the bigger cab as well as the 8' bed, you're going to have to upsize to a "work truck" level machine. If you do, diesel is the only way to go.

I've enjoyed my Tundra so much as well as our Prius that I'm about to buy a Highlander as a family vehicle if the deal is right.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm sticking to the small truck so I guess I'll have to make do like I have for the past 10 years...no biggie. I don't haul sheet goods often enough to have a "full-time" sheet hauler.

I think the 2x4 Access Cab Tacoma with either the 4 or 6-banger will work out fine...they seem to be equivalent in gas mileage which I found surprising.

The 4 door version of the Tacoma is very nice, Chris....
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'll have to go to the dealer soon (one is walking distance from my house) so I'll be sure to check it out.

The only bad thing with the 4-door Tacoma (Double-Cab is what Toyota calls it) is that in order to get the 6' bed, you have to get it in 4x4 mode. The Double-Cab in 2x4 mode has only a 5' bed. If it came with a 6' bed, it would be a strong contender. Too bad...I wonder why the bed suffers in 2x4 mode vs. 4x4 mode??

It seems rather short-sighted of Toyota to limit the Double-Cab options

Your in trouble Chris.

Heard of a guy years a go when you could get a Ford, Chevy, Dodge or International & not very many models of each to choose from. He went looking for a truck & they never saw him again.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

You know, I've just been reading up at Edmunds and I see that they distinguish between a short and long-bed for the double-cab 2wd Tacoma. Funny, the Toyota website makes no such distinction!

Well, assuming Edmunds is right and the folks posting their reviews for their Double-cab 2wd long-bed Tacoma aren't all insane, I'd say the double-cab is a strong contender right now!

Consider the supposed mileage benefit of the smaller truck...I never got anything over about 22MPG with either of my Nissan 4cyl, got near 20 with the Ford F150V6, and nearly 19 with the Dodge 1500 Quad V8 (non HEMI). I drive a bit over 100 miles a day, and I'm too tired to do the math...but whatever that 3 or 4 MPG I lost by going to the bigger truck is costing me in gas is more than made up in comfort and roominess. Also finally went to an automatic with the Dodge, and I'll not drive a manual again. As to hauling plywood, unless you're hauling 30 sheets at once, I don't think you even need to worry about the tailgate 'extenders'...the bed inclines to begin with, and you're not gonna lose it sliding backwards unless you're really into jackrabbit starts on a good hill.

KC

I have a 2004 Dakota 4x4(4x2 looks pretty much the same..just sits a little lower). It has the biggest crew cab in its class...I have two kids...so I looked at all of them...allowing the kids to test the back seats out. The bed is just under 7 foot in lenght...so that deems it a long bed sense it is over 6 foot in lenght. I can fit several plywood board sin the back...no problememo. The thing is great..and the price(at least in these parts) is a lot less then a Tacoma.