Thread: Decorative shelf supports.

Decorative shelf supports.

What is the best way to fasten decorative wooden shelf brackets to the wall? I'm talking about sturdy, functional shelves for my kitchen and mud room. Shelves are solid, 5/4 x 12 by 6' pine slabs attached to a wall of 1/2" drywall over 16" O.C. studs. I plan to make decorative brackets for support and need a way to fasten them securely to the wall without drilling and screwing in from the front. I seem to recall seeing something a while back where a guy used french cleats in combination with notched brackets to somehow fasten the supports from behind. Does anyone have any ideas? I know HD sells pre-made wood supports with a keyhole hanger on the back but they don't seem sturdy enough to me.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Keyhole plates could be good if the screws are large enough and have good purchase in both the wall and the bracket. Maybe as an alternative, you could make sliding dovetail keys to mount to the wall and mating dovetail slots on the backs of the brackets. Or if you had room for it in the back of the bracket, inset a piece of T-track and make matching keys to mount on the wall.

I did our fireplace mantel (African Teak, same dimensions except not as long) by driving lag bolts straight into the studs, cutting off the heads, and (very carefully) boring corresponding holes in the mantel.

If a higher weight capacity without deflection were necessary I would consider using the same technique but mounting a backless box on the studs. Maybe even mount both shelves with lag bolts and then tie them together.