Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OWWM members

For the most part the rules and regulations that an online community enforces are based on the guidelines that the majority of its Members prefer. In order to grow and increase activity the rules must fit the community, it never works in the opposite direction. I don't think I have ever seen a community that enforces rules that are meant to be restrictive without reason, consequently I have never seen an online community that didn't have a small group that constantly complained about having to comply with the rules.

FWIW SawMill Creek adopted our Terms of Service from Badger Pond. Along the way we have had to make minor adjustments to the rules here but I am hesitant to make major changes without a considerable amount of feedback from this Community. I don't mind stating that I don't like some of the rules here but its not my call in most cases. Many feel that as the owner I can do anything I want, this is far from the truth, I have learned that my job is to concentrate on what the majority of our Members feel is best for this Community.

If you haven't noticed we don't even allow our Sponsors to advertise in any of our Woodworking Forums. It has always been our intent to focus on woodworking here without the constant distraction and bombardment of commercial or private advertising. SawMill Creek would be a ghost town if you could not find a woodworking discussion here or if you had to wade through a mountain of trash to find one.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-21-2015 at 6:36 AM.

I'm a member there - I joined recently as I started to need parts and advice on old machine restorations.

The restrictions on adding a photo over there don't make sense to me. In some forums, you can attach photos, others you can't. In order to be able to post photos, I had to find a photo-hoster web site, learn their interface, play by their rules, and then link all my photos, publicly, so anyone can see them. Not my preferred MO. One day, I'll stop hosting my photos, and then, what could have been archived, is gone.

If I had to distill my thoughts on OWWM, I would say it's tough love. If you need technical help on machines, you gotta ask for it (obviously), and you'll get it, but aside from that, there doesn't seem to be the same level of support and encouragement I find here. Maybe it's because I'm still new, but generally speaking (because I don't follow every thread…, new folks here seem to be treated the same as us old timers treat each other (which, generally speaking, is respectful!).

I'm a member at OWWM and probably spend more time there than here. In fact the only reason I found this thread is that for some reason OWWM is down this morning and I thought there might be some news about it here.

Given that it's an all volunteer effort and doesn't accept any advertising or solicit for contributions, I think the rules are completely reasonable.

One thing is for sure. At OWWM, a thread such as this one would never get more than 3 posts before being deleted.
    I'm really surprised this one has been allowed to continue. Makes me rethink being a contributor.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    One thing is for sure. At OWWM, a thread such as this one would never get more than 3 posts before being deleted.
    I'm really surprised this one has been allowed to continue. Makes me rethink being a contributor.
    What is wrong with this thread? Folks calmly stating their opinion/experience without yelling or name calling? Most of the posts support OWMM to at least some degree.
    Your comment about this discussion not being allowed on OWWM itself just reinforces some of the criticism of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Miller View Post
    What is wrong with this thread? Folks calmly stating their opinion/experience without yelling or name calling? Most of the posts support OWMM to at least some degree. Your comment about this discussion not being allowed on OWWM itself just reinforces some of the criticism of them.
    He also commented that it shouldn't be allowed here. So, add a grain of salt. I don't think this thread has run afoul of this forum or the OWWM terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Myk -

A little more grumpy than usual today, my friend. Wrong side of the bed type of day? We all have those............

Have you considered not looking into the posts in this thread? That's what I learned to do [or, to not do] on certain threads where it was all going bonkers - let the feral dog packs fight it out without me.

Just sayin'.

Be well........
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    The restrictions on adding a photo over there don't make sense to me. In some forums, you can attach photos, others you can't. In order to be able to post photos, I had to find a photo-hoster web site, learn their interface, play by their rules, and then link all my photos, publicly, so anyone can see them. Not my preferred MO. One day, I'll stop hosting my photos, and then, what could have been archived, is gone.
    I think the photo thing has more to do with the volunteer nature of the site than anything else. I haven't ever run a forum or will even pretend to know how the guts of one works, but I think the site needed a fair amount of changing just to get to the point where members could add photos directly to the limited number of forums. That's the main reason why I don't post more of my work over there.