Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OWWM members

OWWM members

Just curious how many of you are members over there? I just joined a couple months ago and found it a great resource for info on old machinery. One thing I don't really care for is their super strict rules on NO asking for appraisals, and no sharing CL deals..... It happens all the time here and find it very beneficial... but it's their forum, and their rules.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Because Keith doesn't want appraisals and CL/Ebay links. Makes sense to me. It is well spelled out as to why.

Oh. I'm a member there.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 03-20-2015 at 9:40 AM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

There is reasons for not sharing CL...... once the item is sold, for all practical purposes....the thread is useless.....the links lead to a sale that doesn't exist anymore.....they are dead weight.......and someone has to clean up the clutter.....

.......and appraisals........here at SMC...it's often a sneaky way people try to circumvent becoming a financial Contributor and use the Classifieds Forum........
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I've been a member there since 2008.

The wealth of knowledge there is incredible, as is the willingness of it's members to help others.

I've had the pleasure of meeting several owwm-ers, all good people.

Ed

I joined there some time back, but found their restrictive rules and the attitude of the moderator not to my liking.
    The only thing I look at over there is the photo index & the publication reprints.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    There is reasons for not sharing CL...... once the item is sold, for all practical purposes....the thread is useless.....the links lead to a sale that doesn't exist anymore.....they are dead weight.......and someone has to clean up the clutter.....

.......and appraisals........here at SMC...it's often a sneaky way people try to circumvent becoming a financial Contributor and use the Classifieds Forum........

Makes sense on the worthless links..... and the dodging the classifieds. But like Mel said it just seems like it's two strikes and you're out.... but then again I've never managed a forum. All that aside OWWM and Vint Machinery can both be very useful
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Busenitz View Post
    Makes sense on the worthless links..... and the dodging the classifieds. But like Mel said it just seems like it's two strikes and you're out.... but then again I've never managed a forum. All that aside OWWM and Vint Machinery can both be very useful
    Jesse, normally there are common sense reasons why forums have rules and enforce them. The trouble is there are a certain number of malcontents who for some reason enjoy challenging authority, believe the rules don't apply to them or that they have a circumstance that warrants an exception to the rules. Trouble arises IF you make an exception. There really is no fun in enforcing rules or the TOSs like we have here at SMC. Those of us who do it get attacked publicly here, at other websites or privately via PMs.

SMC TOSs says we can't link to OWWM or any other public or private forum........but I refer people to OWWM all the time....I just don't post a link......OWWM is a valuable resource of information for those with or considering older woodworking power tools.

BTW, I am not a member there.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

That is why we created a special forum just for 'Deals and Discounts' so that it is all in one spot and it can be ignored by the search function.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post

I frequently read the Practical Machinist forums. They have a forum on Antique Machinery that has a large number of knowledgeable members. They also have a newer forum for woodworking.
    PM allows links to CL and Ebay auctions which can be very helpful to the other members. When there are pictures or other historically important information in the CL or Ebay listings, someone will copy and post them so they are saved for future reference.
    PM also allows posts asking for values on things. This can be a great help to someone selling a family members' things, etc.
    OWWM is missing the boat on this with their restrictive rules.
    Last edited by Mel Miller; 03-20-2015 at 4:27 PM.

Why not take the criticism of OWWM to OWWM?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I have heard many tales of that (quickly) ending in ejection... and silence. YMMV...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I tried discussing things with the mod and was told "he didn't give a hoot what I thought". That was good enough for me.
    Please note my original post of the OWWM mods reply was accurate, but has been edited to a much softer version by the mods here.
    Last edited by Mel Miller; 03-21-2015 at 12:38 PM.

I think there are lots here. I'm a member there and have benefited greatly from the wealth of knowledge and willingness to share. I try to contribute as well to give back and further document information about OWWM. Personally I think it is a very well managed forum. I left another forum because it was a bit too lawless and threads too often degraded into useless bickering. I don't have time for that, which is why I'm here, and OWWM. I've seen many new people run afoul of the rules at OWWM which are probably enforced more there than most places, but consistently. Most new members apologize, go read the rules and stick around. Some get completely bent out of shape, make a big stink and refuse to acknowledge they might have any culpability. What's the point of that? Any forum you join is entitled to it's own rules, which reflect the vision of it's founder(s). Take time to read them. If you disagree go elsewhere.

There are some extremely knowledgeable, experienced and opioninated folks that are former members, I guess due to clashes. Those I wish could be/have been worked out.

Doug

I belong there and have been there longer than here. Never have run afoul of the rules. They also don't discuss Asian tools. Just their rules.

I hang over there a bit,fantastic resource.It's their playground,their rules.

Only a cpl problems and they're mine......not savvy enough with computers to figure out how to post pics.Which is sort of their loss because of how much or how often we do surgical repairs on old equipment.The other is,even though it isn't completely spelled out in the rules.....at least to where my pea brain can understand it....is the discussion of sheet metal.More specifcally gauge metal.Just conjecture,but their hate for Asian equipment translates this twds gauge metal?Again,it's all on me......their rules.It seems half my posts run afoul,which isn't the intent WHATSOEVER....so,am very restrictive on my posts so as to not upset them.

But I've been zapped here quite a few times for several things that made NO sense......I take the responsibility and limit posting so as to not makes folks angry.