Thread: Arti-porin dye for ammonia fumed look

Arti-porin dye for ammonia fumed look

Hello All:
    I just picked up a dresser off craigslist and want to refinish it to look similar to one I built and colored with fuming. I'd like to try a dye for this one rather than fuming. In doing a bit of searching I have gotten the impression that aniline dyes don't do so well with open pore woods like oak and ask. Highland sells a product called Artiporin dye (imported from Germany) which is supposed to work well with open pore woods. Phil in tech support at Highland Hardware recommended the Red Walnut Artiporin dye to achieve the ammonia fumed look.
    Do any of you have experience with these dyes? Could you share your experience and/or offer advice about color? For reference, I would like it to look as close as possible to the color below (yes I know the color is variable within that dresser). Also, the dresser that I am refinishing has very light colored oak. Perhaps mostly sapwood.
    Thanks in advance.
    Cheers,
    Jim
    IMG_2443.jpg

Jim,

I tried the Antiporin dye from Highland on some quartersawn red oak. It did not color the open pores, resulting in the typical light colored streaks just like you see with TransTint and other waterborne dyes. I also tried dissolving the powder in some in alcohol, but got the same effect.

However, QS red oak pores are very difficult to deal with, and Antiporin dye may work quite well coloring the pores on other wood species. My only experience is with the QS red oak on several test pieces.

Thanks Jack. This dresser is flat sawn so maybe I'll be okay?
    Cheers,
    Jim

You can use any of the dyes expecting to color the "background" but not getting inside the pores. Then you can use a pigment only Stain to fill the pore, after sealing the dye with a little dewaxed shellac. A little darker than the dye adds a lot of depth.