Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weber grill owners--need your advice

Weber grill owners--need your advice

I'm about to spring for a Weber propane grill [propane b/c I grill off site some, Weber b/c seems to be the most affordable for me at this time]. Right now they're on sale b/t 6 and $700 in my area for the two I'm looking at. I think it's the 310 model Genesis series. Any suggestions?

I bought the first Genesis model that was made. After about 10-15 years it needed a lot of work as it's stored outside, the burners needed replacement, etc. I bought a bigger new Genesis with 3 burners. I do a lot of grilling with indirect heat. I will buy another Genesis should I live long enough to wear this one out. Expensive but good.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Based on the experience of my BIL, get the model with the stainless steel grates.
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

We bought my Dad one probably 10-12 years ago, it's the Genesis as well. It's stayed outside, uncovered for most of it's life. It still looks excellent. They were about $400-500 back then and it's been one of the best grills any of us have purchased as far as longevity. If I had to buy another one, it would be another Weber.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

We have two (one at home and one at summer place) that we have used for about 10 years. There have been only two issues: the sparker box rusted out (easy to replace), and on occasion I have had to wire brush the burners to clean the orifices before I could get a clean flame. In contrast, we went through at least three burner sets (rusted out) in 7 years with our previous (other brand) grill. I would buy another.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale View Post
    Based on the experience of my BIL, get the model with the stainless steel grates.
    This is good advice.

The best thing about the Weber grills is the company supports them and they have parts. I have a Spirit 500 from 1998 and have replaced the flavor bars and gas manifold a couple of times. Good grill.

After being frustrated enough times with Char Broil BBQs, we finally bought a Weber.
    The only way to go.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

My Weber lived outside, in New England, for a LONG time. A friend had the same grill, with the same story. I finally replaced mine because I wanted something bigger, and found a Genesis on sale at a store closing for peanuts. It's a great grill. Honestly, the quality has gone down a bit. It's not as heavy duty as their old ones used to be. That said, it lives outside year round, uncovered, and performs very well. I expect to get 20 years out of this one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Ehrhardt View Post
    Right now they're on sale b/t 6 and $700 in my area for the two I'm looking at. I think it's the 310 model Genesis series. Any suggestions?
    I bought my Summit S-470 several years ago for about double that but I don't regret it for a minute. We keep a cover on it but it's been rained on, frozen, and we even had a really wet period that saw mold develop under the cover. It cleaned up just fine and is still going strong. I haven't had to replace any parts yet...not even the rotisserie motor. The heavy stainless grates are pretty much bomb proof, sear well, and clean easily.

I've never owned one but the Genesis series is a popular seller up here and is generally well regarded. If I was me, I'd likely pick the S-310 stainless model over the E-310.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

My first one lasted ~20 years outside, about the third time it was going to need the heat fins and grates replaced I decided it looked sad enough to justify a new one. I got an all-stainless three burner model that also works great. We grill on it 2-3 times a week, year round. I also think the SS grated are a good upgrade.

Can't go wrong with any of the Weber grills, just pick the size you need and the one priced you can afford. I purchased a Genesis Silver back in 2002 natural gas model, still grilling on it today. Seems like I have replaced the flavor bars a couple times and bought a SS grate last summer. So you will have to replace a few things over the years, like an other equipment. Ours has a side burner which I have found to be very handy. A fellow worker who is a serious charcoal griller has been brow beating me for years about grilling with gas, so I gave in a purchased a Weber 22" kettle a few weeks ago. HD had them on clearance. I've done a few cooks on the charcoal, the food does have better flavor. The learning curve is a little more on the charcoal unit and I look forward to experimenting with it but for convenience I'll never give up my Weber gas grill.

On advice from the guys here, I bought a webber, and love it.

Thanks again guys,
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

A local hardware store chain was clearing out some new old stock Weber natural gas grills recently. I almost bought one before I realized the older models have the burners the long way instead of the short way. With long narrow burners it can be hard to shut down one burner for indirect heat if you are grilling larger items.

I have a Genesis Silver going on 7-9 yrs. Works great, igniter died quickly but really don't need it. Get new grates and the tent things every 1-2 yrs burners are solid. Cooks great!

My previous grill was the venerable Genesis Silver and it lasted for many years. I replaced it finally two years ago with the Genesis E330 which is very similar to the E310 you're considering. So far, they have had to replace the pezzo igniters twice and the cast iron grills rusted almost immediately. While I love the features...especially the extra searing "burner", my experience with this newer Webber grill has not instilled the same level of confidence and satisfaction that the old one did. For nearly $800, I expected better.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...