Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stu - Tools from Japan

Blog Entries

Stu - Tools from Japan

Just thought I'd put the word in for Stu;

I ordered 1000 and 3000 Chosera stones about a month ago, Stu prepared and shipped them and then there the tracking sat showing that they had shipped from Osaka from Feb 18th through still to today.

We gave a bit of time in waiting but even with contacts to Japan Post, US customs and USPS no one could locate the package or give reason for the delay. Having contacted everyone from local posts in both countries to main offices it was disappointing but eventually we both came to the conclusion that these were very likely lost in transit. We're four weeks now for a package which typically arrives within a week to my door.

Anywho, Stu offered to send another set, covering the expense entirely. An incredible offer for a situation which is not in the least bit his fault.

I always appreciate when a company goes out of their way for the little customer, it would be just as easy to ask for more waiting on my end or blame everyone and do nothing, but instead Stu went into action immediately after hearing of the delay and ultimately decided to re-send rather than continue to wait.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

If the others show up later, I know someone who will want them. PM me if they show up, and we can save some trouble for the three of us, as well as any worries about shipping back or whatever. It's a little bit of an unusual situation, but the guy who wants them is using mine in the meantime anyway, and right now, it's no bother at all to me. We can send Stu the payment, and repay you any shipping cost and trouble.

Blog Entries
    That would be awesome, will do!

Blog Entries
    Stu is awesome. You are going to love those stones. I just ordered a 600 and 2000 to go with mine. Sadly, I mistakenly had my parents' address set as default address so it will be even longer getting here.

He's been very good on anything i've had too. That budget air mail small package rate they have in Japan makes him a very feasible choice for even quite small items...

This doesn't give me much confidence that the Koyamaichi Oire nomi chisels I ordered back on Feb 10 are going to show up before I need them in early April. I'll still keep my fingers crossed.

Stu is a class act and it's always a pleasure doing business with him.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    This doesn't give me much confidence that the Koyamaichi Oire nomi chisels I ordered back on Feb 10 are going to show up before I need them in early April. I'll still keep my fingers crossed.
    Are they shipped? I'm always used to waiting a while for the smith to make the chisels before Stu ships them. I waited less for the typical variety and more for a couple special chisels he had made for me.

First set took 6 weeks~ second set took 10 weeks~ I have a few more on order at the moment along with some Ouchi's.

He'll notify you when he ships, he's very good about doing that.

Blog Entries
    Stu is a class act. I amsure it will all work out in the end. The longshoreman's issueswehadherea bit ago createda bit of a shipping backlog.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I haven't received a shipment notification. i'm concerned about the funny business going on with the ports and labor disputes on the west coast. I will remain hopeful, and with the miniscule amount of time I have in the shop, I likely won't need them until early April 2016 anyway.

no one could locate the package . . . we both came to the conclusion that these were very likely lost in transit. We're four weeks now
    I can commiserate.

My last deal like that was from the UK and they were tools I later learned had been discontinued or no longer available from any other vender that I so far have found. So just gone. I have since, with much investigation, finally found tools I like even better but at a considerable delay for pro tools I need to use every single day.

That's the way it can go when dealing internationally.
    The stellar exception is Apple Computer.
    I have tracked packages from China to my door in three days standard FREE shipping.
    They sure got their thing together.
    PS: interestingly enough they always go from China to Alaska then down to the lower 48 (some where in Wisconsin I think) for sorting then to me in Colorado.

One would think they would fly right into California from China but maybe I am directionally challenged.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 03-20-2015 at 10:07 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    PS: interestingly enough they always go from China to Alaska then down to the lower 48.

One would think they would fly right into California from China but maybe I am directionally challenged.
    Or you need to get your Berings Strait.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Both UPS and FedEx have major cargo hubs in Anchorage. I'm sure they probably go to Wisconsin from there because of some standard distribution routing they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    PS: interestingly enough they always go from China to Alaska then down to the lower 48 (some where in Wisconsin I think) for sorting then to me in Colorado.

I see that Alaska is right in the middle of a great circle between Shanghai and the east coast of the U.S. Perhaps that's the reason for the shipping company hubs there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    Or you need to get your Berings Strait.

Very good, HIlton. Very good indeed...............
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.