Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Rare is an Engraved Independence Tool Dovetail Saw?

1. How Rare is an Engraved Independence Tool Dovetail Saw?

Hey guys,

Last week I picked up a brand new mint condition engraved Independence Tool dovetail saw!

Before going to town on a tool chest build sawing dovetails, I want to know the general consensus of this particular saw's worth.

Bought this for my daily user, and to ease my mind would like to double check I'm not destroying something truly of note by using this saw.

I'd appreciate any information from collectors or those of you who know a bit more than me about this saw.

Thanks for the help

http://i.imgur.com/bLwJqeA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/sT1Gq7K.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QtiJbda.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/w0VPOSq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dnxvjbf.jpg
    Last edited by McHunter VonSwearingen; 03-20-2015 at 6:50 PM.

Blog Entries
    It is certainly unique! I have never seen one. I would still use it. I am sure it is worth more than a standard one but not enough to warrant not using it. Another thought is you might sell it and buy a Lie-Nielsen saw and have money left over for another toy.

I've never heard of the maker but even if I had I would still think that the maker wanted these saws to be used. And it is a lovely looking saw.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Rust never sleeps
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/77333663@N07/sets

You might be interested by this link to Derek's site:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...en%20saws.html
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

5. My plan is to keep and use this as my main dovetail saw, taking the time now to make sure this piece does not need preservation.
    In fact, I would only consider not using this saw if the inherit value demanded it remain unused.

Thanks for the link. Derek's site is a treasure trove, I've read many of his articles previously.
    And always surprised when doing research just how many google top page search returns are links to his website.

The original Independence saws were made by a jointly owned company of Pete Taran and Patrick Leach. When they got tired of making and selling saws they sold the name and rights to Tom Lie-Nielsen. For a few years thereafter the L-N saws retained the Independence name on the spine. Eventually the Independence name was removed and only hte L-N name remained. For several years L-N offered engraving services through a third party on any tool they made. I don't know whether or not they still do.

As for value, it's hard to say since it is probably a saw from the early L-N years.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

The LN will “hop” a little, and the danger then is that I lose the line. I have another dovetail saw, a vintage $10 John Cotterill, which like the LN is sharpened 15 tpi rip with minimal set but has about 14 degrees of rake (sharpening and setting done by myself). This cuts slower but with greater ease when starting and, thus, more reliability than the LN. All who have used this saw really like using it. What I really want is a saw that looks like the LN and cuts like the JC.
    Side note comment on Derek's quote above.
    That was exactly the experience I had with the large back saws WHEN CUTTING HARDER/DENSER THAN NORMAL wood. Specifically the dovetails for my purple heart work bench. I bought the saws just for that (one rip one cross cut).

To allow them to cut very controllably (got rid of the grab and hop)(which would not happen in more friendly wood) I just touched the edge of the teeth with a very fine diamond paddle at a degree or two steeper angle . . . I didn't file the whole tooth. A secondary bevel as it were.

From then on we were best pals.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    McHunter:

Neat saw; like previous answer given, the rights were sold to LN.
    As for the engraving, could be a one off.
    See attached pics of a LN dovetail saw I had engraved. It is my go to saw, I use it even though it is a bit flashy with the Acanthus leaves engraving.
    Use it I say!, unless it is a special of some sort.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    McHunter,

Welcome to the Creek.

Such a fine saw was made to be used.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

10. L-N Dovetail Saw

Thanks Dave, glad to have that information though to be honest I was surprised to hear it is not an original Independence Tool. Still is an amazing saw and fits like a glove in my hand, I'm thankful to have it and will be sawing away soon.

Hey Winton, great tip, whenever I'm troubleshooting how to saw smoothly through some unforgiving wood I'll now know what to do. Thanks

Thanks Canadian Dave, you have a fine looking saw there yourself, and your saw's engraving looks a lot more detailed. The engraving on mine is deep and seems almost like it was put through a stamp press.

Thanks Jim, agreed, and glad I checked with everyone here, now I can get to sawing some dovetails with this beauty guilt free.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    As for value, it's hard to say since it is probably a saw from the early L-N years.
    The features of the handle of the saw are closer to my Independence saw than my LN saw. Also, I've not seen that wood on a LN saw, which has tended to be figured. It is quite possible that a previous owner had the brass back engraved. My vote is for IT rather than LN.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Go right to the source and ask either Pete Taran or Patrick Leach. I'll probably see Patrick later this week and if I remember, I'll ask him.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    I was just about to say the same as Derek- I have only seen LN using flamed maple and rosewood, but this looks like it has a cherry or mahogany handle. Also I think the engraving looks like it was CNC cut.

I just took another look at the saw and yours is an original Independence and not a L-N. The stamp says "INDEPENCENCE TOOL" As soon as L-N started making the saws (mine is from the first batch) they lettered the backs " LIE-NIELSEN INDEPENDENCE 15ppi RIP" Other tool configurations came later. Sorry for the misinformation on my first post which was made from work.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I was just about to say the same as Derek- I have only seen LN using flamed maple and rosewood, but this looks like it has a cherry or mahogany handle. Also I think the engraving looks like it was CNC cut.
    After reading this post, I took another look at the engraving and it does look like it was CNC cut. Also, the look is not my cup of tea, though seeing the saw in person may change that opinion.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.