Thread: Power Scooter advice

Power Scooter advice

Starting to look for a power scooter for my mother and, knowing nothing about them, I need some advice.

Looking for something for her to use when we go out shopping at places that do not provide a motorized cart, Church festivals etc.....
    Looking for something that can be easy to unload from a car. I will always be the one to unload and set up, not her.
    Just as a starting point at what has me interested (and her) Price, size, easy to transport etc...
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GPGKN4G/...=IKJ1IELNI4L36
    About the only thing of concern for me is this model has solid hard wheels. wondering how it would do in a patch of gravel in a parking lot. Reviews say rubber tires are not available.

Can anyone recommend a type of scooter, brand name, any features I may want to look into ?

Thanks.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

My MIL has had this one for about 5 years, she's on her second set of batteries.

http://www.amazon.com/Pride-Go-Go-Sp...ywords=scooter

3 wheel turn much tighter, nice for stores with narrow isles, a little less stable than 4 wheel, but not unsafe. She uses her's for about everything, shopping, cruising the malls, outdoor festivals, VAB board walk, nascar races, you name it. The tires are a hard foam type substance, not sure exactly what but they've worn well and have good traction, The go-go is nice in that it's not too big. The MIL has a carrier on the back of her car, but it fits into a trunk just fine. It breaks down into manageable pieces, even SHMBO can put it into the trunk by herself and she's small, like 4'11" small! Remove the seat, which lifts off, the battery pack lifts off, the handlebars fold down and into the trunk it goes in pieces. SHMBO and MIL travel all the time including flying and rental cars, no problem. Well worth it, MIL can't walk more than 50'. Without it she'd be housebound. With it we can't slow her down... one of these days I'm gonna paint flames on it

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by M Toupin View Post
    My MIL has had this one for about 5 years, she's on her second set of batteries.

http://www.amazon.com/Pride-Go-Go-Sp...ywords=scooter

3 wheel turn much tighter, nice for stores with narrow isles, a little less stable than 4 wheel, but not unsafe. She uses her's for about everything, shopping, cruising the malls, outdoor festivals, VAB board walk, nascar races, you name it. The tires are a hard foam type substance, not sure exactly what but they've worn well and have good traction, The go-go is nice in that it's not too big. The MIL has a carrier on the back of her car, but it fits into a trunk just fine. It breaks down into manageable pieces, even SHMBO can put it into the trunk by herself and she's small, like 4'11" small! Remove the seat, which lifts off, the battery pack lifts off, the handlebars fold down and into the trunk it goes in pieces. SHMBO and MIL travel all the time including flying and rental cars, no problem. Well worth it, MIL can't walk more than 50'. Without it she'd be housebound. With it we can't slow her down... one of these days I'm gonna paint flames on it

Mike
    Thanks for the info. I will have a closer look.
    I was concerned about the 3 wheel not being stable. Sounds like she is ok with a 3 wheel.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Does anyone know if these scooters are available for rental for say 3-4 months.
    my wife will be getting out of the hospital in the next 2 weeks or so and will need one.
    we have been married for 52 years

And I want best for her
    Thank you for your information..

If your mom is on Medicare, you may be able to get one at a reduced price. I have seen ads on TV for free ones. I have only seen the ads.....know nothing else about it.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Yes, it is possible to get medicare to pay with the proper medical documentation from a doctor, that's how MIL paid for hers. Be careful dealing with the medical equipment companies, they will do everything possible to try and sell you a full size electric wheel chair for 4-5 grand. Stick to your guns and be firm and they will eventually realize you're not going to be bullied into something you don't want or need.

Mike