Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cut the key ring and worry about the consequesnces later

11 45.83%
  • It is their car, their rules. Leave it alone

13 54.17%
  • Something clever I didn't think of

0 0%

Thread: What would you do? Car rental keys.

What would you do? Car rental keys.

I hate just getting one key. What if you lose it or leave it in the car?

Well I got 2 keys together on an unopenable keyring. Naturally I want to open it, so that my wife and I each have a key. I called the local number but got the company CS. He warned me that they were likely to penalize me for the damage, and suggested I call two local numbers. They didn't answer.

I emailed CS. They replied that I can't cut the ring open; they are permenatelyt attached so nothing is lost. Why is it worse to lose a key than to have both on one key ring. Because that is their policy.

I am not sure I have ever heard anything quite so stupid in my like. Except maybe a notice in the USAir magazine that the cabin might feel dry because the humidity is low. Geez, I was wondering why it felt dry!

Anyhow, what would you do?
    Last edited by Wade Lippman; 03-21-2015 at 9:36 AM.

Been there, done that. The ring is too big to fit into pants pockets. I cut the ring. Returned both. Nothing was said and I wasn't charged.

I rent Hertz all the time and routinely cut the ring. They have never said anything so far.

I can't stand when they give you two gigantic keys with remotes tied together with cable. I understand that they are trying to keep both keys together so they can sell a car with 2 keys at some point.

So instead of storing the second key, they force every single renter to deal with the oversized bundle of keys. It is slightly more convenient for them and puts a burden on thousands of people that rent the car. Not great customer service if you ask me. Maybe it was tolerable years ago when keys were tiny, but some of the remote control keys are huge.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I emailed CS. They replied that I can't cut the ring open.....
    One of those instances where it is easier to apologize than ask permission.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Cheaper to pay the 'cabling fee' than to call a locksmith in the middle of nowhere.

Just don't lose the one you have separated,
    they're nearly $250 to replace, and reprogram.

Never run into that, but we usually use Enterprise.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Rental companies sell of these vehicles after they reach a certain age or mileage. The cost to replace the fobs that are on most vehicles these days is quite expensive...as much as $350 a piece...and they try to keep them together for that reason. They can't resell the car without both keys. Yup...a little counter-intuitive because both could be lost at the same time. But most rental keys also have "mail back" information on the tags, so that reduces the likelihood that they will be truly lost. Of course, it's very much inconvenient when a couple rents a car and only one can have "the keys" at a time...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Rental companies sell of these vehicles after they reach a certain age or mileage. The cost to replace the fobs that are on most vehicles these days is quite expensive...as much as $350 a piece...and they try to keep them together for that reason. They can't resell the car without both keys. Yup...a little counter-intuitive because both could be lost at the same time. But most rental keys also have "mail back" information on the tags, so that reduces the likelihood that they will be truly lost. Of course, it's very much inconvenient when a couple rents a car and only one can have "the keys" at a time...
    I guess that makes sense; screw the renter.
    Funny thing is that I found a keyfob in the trunk; the ring had one fob and two keys.
    No spare tire, but a keyfob.

Many newer vehicles do not come with a spare standard anymore...it's an extra cost option.

That was an interesting find in the trunk. I wonder if that fob and keys were put there for a reason or just ended up there inadvertently...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...