Thread: Request for a Urn has me worried.

Request for a Urn has me worried.

Hello,

I have been asked to make an urn for one of my customers Father.

For some reason I can not add the photo graph they sent me of what they would like produced.

the dimensions 11.75" x 8.5" and 5" tall and made of Oak

I will try and describe the box. it is mitered corners with a bead mold cut just above the feet.

The problem I have been struggling with understanding is that the top appears glued and flush with the sides and protrudes 1/8-3/16 above the sides.

Now with it being 8.5 inches wide will the lid not crack with changes in humidity. (online calculator suggests 3/16 movement)
    my shop is radiant floor heated and very dry (humidity usually under 20 in winter)

I am also going to have to make the lid .5 inches deep as I have to do some cnc carving and engraving on the top. So it would be rabbeted.

I have spent the last 2-3 hours looking online for help with this. the closest I have come to this type of design is those for the Garden of Innocence but those are made of pine and almost half the width.

The box to be made is very similar to this.

http://www.funeral-urn.com/perfect-w...urn-large.aspx

Most of these urns, including the one you linked to, do not have a top that opens, the bottom is screwed on and that's how you access the contents. If you look at the last two pictures of the link you provided, you'll see that.

Yes but will the top not crack with wood movement given that the direction of movement is on a different axis then the rest of the box.