Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop Made Threading Jig

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    A very clever jig!! And,I LOVE plum wood. Wish I could get some.

I have been cutting my threads in a metal cutting lathe. For large threads,I use a wood router clamped at a 45 degree angle in my tool holder. It cuts exceedingly clean threads. The 45 degree angle on the router works just fine since proper wood threads have 90 degree angles between them,rather than the 60 degree angle of metal working threads. This more blunt angle makes the wooden threads stronger,and less likely for accidentally knocking the tops off of the threads...
    Now that is what I call cutting threads, thanks for the history George.

"The best things in life are not things."

For those attempting one of these, I would suggest using a "4 way camera macro slide", same as the dovetail but cheaper and you have both sideways and front to back adjustments. I bought mine off of eBay, slow boat from China for less than $30. For the threaded part I used a block of Delrin that I drill and tapped. For my inspiration I used Pat Miller's threading jig from one of his posts on WOW. Sorry no pics of mine, and I am still laid up after triple bypass surgery so pics are out of the question, they won't let me go near the shop.

James I love this threading jig. I bought a commercial one and yours appears to be better!

Any chance you will make more jigs and share your plans? Like a sphere jig, hint hint!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by James Combs View Post
    I was re-reading a few of my older threads and happen to notice that I said I would report back again in "30 days" on the fit of my little sample screw together plumb box.
    Plum, persimmon, dogwood - some of the woods that warp the most in my experience!

For turned boxes I try to do what I think Richard Raffan recommended, even with very dry wood. I turn it partially, hollowing both the box and the lid, and then let it sit for a while, at least overnight, better longer. Then finish and fit. This is supposed to help relieve the natural stresses in even dry wood. This has worked well for me.

I didn't see your original post so I am glad you brought it up again. Great looking work!! I bought a Baxter jig from Best Wood Tools but If I had my milling machine and metal lathe then I might have tried to make one. I'm sure it wouldn't have looked as good as yours, though!

JKJ