Thread: Delta 46-460 Switch Problems

Delta 46-460 Switch Problems

Well, I have been waiting for it to happen and after 5 years it finally did; the on/off switch on my Delta 46-460 quit working. I have been reading about the many others who have experienced this problem and about the switch being a discontinued item and not available. If you have had this problem, how did you work around it. What switch did you use to replace the old one and how did you wire it up?

I have two larger lathes, but really do enjoy and need this mini.....I hate seeing it just sit there all broken hearted ---- it looks so sad.
    Last edited by Bill Bulloch; 03-22-2015 at 8:06 AM.

My failure happened a few years ago now, but even then there were those that said the switch was not available. I explored several parts websites and all were out of stock on the replacement switch. I used it as an excuse to buy a 3520B and dropped it off at a service center. The service center predicted it might take "a few months" to get the part in but they actually got it in and fixed it in a matter of 3 weeks.
    The bad news was that they charged me about $200 for the out-of-warranty repair. It turns out they had replaced much more than just the switch in order to fix it.

I was tempted to just tell them nevermind, keep the lathe.

4. Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Since I have one of these 46-460 units, I am very interested in possible solutions to the switch issue. Mine has not failed [knock on wood] but if you would not mind John........may I inquire where you got this info? My unit has a lever style switch, but I suppose the lever part does not matter that much, as long a the wiring matches up. Any insights on how to wire this switch to replace the factory original or how it mounts on the lathe?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

My 46-460 is in the needs to be blown out often stage. I suppose that the switch John linked to is good because it looks like it will fit in the existing hole. I am thinking that the location on top of the lathe is part of the problem as it seems to be a good spot for dust to settle. I am considering a remote switch located near the tail end of the bed, mounted in a vertical position, and perhaps with a dust cover. Since I won't be restricted to a switch that fits in the hole I should be able to find a sealed or at least "dust resistant" switch.

Let us know what you end up with as there are a lot of 46-460 owners waiting for their turn at this repair.

My background is electrical/electronics repair and it has been my experience that on/off and reversing switches are pretty much the same on a lot of wood working equipment. I have looked at the exploded diagrams for both the 46-460T1(Type 1), the 46-460T1X and the 46-460T2.

Bill, can you tell from these diagrams which type lathe you have.
    Image2.jpg Image3.jpg

All appear to use the same basic switch for the On/Off and the same one for the Fwd/Rev switch. The only difference between the two On/Off switches for instance is the actuator(the knob, rocker, ore whatever activates the switch) attached to the switch and I suspect the actuator is the only difference between these two switches and the one John linked to. In MOST cases the actuator is removable from the switch, it is NOT the switch. The section with the connection lugs is the actual switch. I have replaced several similar switches on my equipment without replacing the actuator section.

Bill if you are willing to pay for shipping both ways, ship me the switch and I would be glad to see if it is removable from the actuator and replaceable. The switching unit attached to the actuator is usually easily obtained and typically is less then $10. If it is what I think it is it is an easy fix. If I can fix it you will only have to pay for the part. If someone else has the other type that is not like Bill's they can do the same thing and I will check it out as well. If they are repairable and I have little doubt that they are, I will photograph the repair process and post it here for future use.

Just PM me and I will provide you with my shipping address.

"The best things in life are not things."

7. James, from the diagrams you show, mine appears to be the type 2...........what does that mean, as far as this lathe, or being reliable? Did they change the type or improve them with the type 2?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    James, from the diagrams you show, mine appears to be the type 2...........what does that mean, as far as this lathe, or being reliable? Did they change the type or improve them with the type 2?
    Sorry Roger, I don't have a clue, I can't tell you which one is even first. I would have guessed that the type 1 is older then the type 2 but for some reason my impression is just the opposite. In any case I do not believe there is any difference in the actual "switch" part of the switching mechanism. That is the reason I would like to physically see one of each. I do recall, however, that several years ago on this forum there was some discussion about the change over from one switching mechanism to the other but I don't recall which way it went, T1 to T2 or T2 to T1. I don't think it is important to the repair because I have read about both types failing at the On/Off switch. I have no doubts that the repair is similar in both.

James, what about the reversing switch? That was acting up before the switch went out, it wouldn't go in reverse. Do you thank that will need replacing also? I sent you a pm.

I got the part number from the blog of Vickie Woodcock (selkiewoodworks.blogspot). However, the source she provided does not show any in stock. I searched the part number and found the source linked.

That site lists this switch as a direct replacement for the out of stock one: http://www.ereplacementparts.com/swi...p-1383103.html

Here is another option: https://www.controllerservice.com/in...rplus.Products

I've replaced similar switches on machines and usually there is a maker and part numbers listed in the side of the switch that can be googled. The Delta switch doesn't look like anything unique.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bulloch View Post
    James, what about the reversing switch? That was acting up before the switch went out, it wouldn't go in reverse. Do you thank that will need replacing also? I sent you a pm.
    Bill I PM'd my address. Yes go ahead and send both of them. The reversing switch will "most likely" be different then the On/Off. It will probably have 6 connectors on it and possibly two jumpers crossing over to opposite diagonal connectors but regardless of what it looks like send both of them anyway. Best case is that they just have some wood dust in them which can be cleaned out. Worst case is a replacement switch for the actuator. BTW the switch linked to in John's post may actually be a direct replacement for the reversing switch but I would have to see it's circuit diagram to be sure. If it is a replacement for the On/Off it looks like it would require switching the actuator from the old switch to the new one. BTW it is possible that one of the switches could be used in either location especially if neither one is momentary(spring returned).

Quote Originally Posted by James Conrad View Post
    That site lists this switch as a direct replacement for the out of stock one: http://www.ereplacementparts.com/swi...p-1383103.html

Here is another option: https://www.controllerservice.com/in...rplus.Products

I've replaced similar switches on machines and usually there is a maker and part numbers listed in the side of the switch that can be googled. The Delta switch doesn't look like anything unique.
    +1 on James' comments.