Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick out a bandsaw

Help me pick out a bandsaw

I am looking to get a bandsaw to do some resawing on. Most of what I will be resawing are old reclaimed ~3x6 to ~3x10 barn oak rafters (which are beautiful, by the way) and possibly some oak and walnut off a bandsaw sawmill as my Dad keeps talking about getting a sawmill. I have an 8" jointer, a 15" stationary thickness planer, and a 240 volt panel in my shop. I also have a 3 hp cabinet saw with a riving knife which I have done some resawing on (the proper "joint a face and two sides, and leave a little "bridge" left that you cut through with a handsaw method) and that simply led me to realize why people get bandsaws to do that work. Here's pretty much what I will need it to do:

1. Resaw 6-10" thick hardwood. This will be its main function.
    2. Rip wide slabs and wavy-edged boards that I wouldn't feel comfortable ripping on my cabinet saw prior to resawing. This may have to be done on some still kind of green wood (unless I want to wait five years for it to completely dry.)
    3. Cutting of outside curves and profiles for furniture projects. I don't intend to try to use the bandsaw as a scroll saw, it would be more of a more-precise jigsaw with the ability to cut through stacked parts.

I am guessing something in the 17-19" range would probably be the most suitable after reading the threads here. I don't have any personal experience with bandsaws so your input would be very welcome. Budget isn't firm but I'd like to keep it under $1500 or so. I don't have any particular brand loyalty but I do live very close to the Grizzly showroom in Springfield, MO, so that's where pretty well all of my other equipment has come from.

I would also appreciate input on blades as well as pretty well all I know is "use a 2-3 TPI hook blade that's the second-to-widest the saw will take."

I have a Grizzly 0513 and it does everything I want it to do, including what you want to use it for. Are there better saws? Probably. Would they make a difference for me? Probably not - I am an amateur wood butcher. What I would spend money on are good blades...the blade is, in my humble opinion, more important than the saw being used. I think any of the 17" Grizzly saws would fit the bill well without breaking the bank.
    http://grizzly14-px.rtrk.ca/products...paign=Bandsaws
    "God does not deduct from a man's lifespan the time spent fishing."

Go Grizz. You won't be unhappy.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Grizzly 0513x3b model rates very well and has a good brake.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Grizzly 0513x3b model rates very well and has a good brake.
    Rich, I know nothing about Grizz bandsaws, so I looked at their website for that number, and I don't see it. See some other 0513's though. Looks like there are 2 and 3 hp models.

Personally I'd find an old machine. Usually enables better features for less $. The Grizz looks fine too though.

I think Rich meant G0513X2B model

I recently upgraded to the Griz 513x2 from a 14-inch Powermatic. Knowing what I know now, I wish I had bought the Grizzly first. I'm sawing 10-12 inch logs, stocking up my wood supply. I've sawn pecan, cherry, oak, some unknown wood that I'm still waiting on the tree to put on leafs so I can identify it and a lot of spalted oak. Very accurate, and plenty of power. I wish I had gotten the one with the brake though.

Cannot make a recommendation on a big band Saw. But I would suggest that it might be advisable to invest in a hand-held medal detector, especially since you will be working with old barn wood. Speaking from experience with reclaimed and old lumber, 'ya nevva' know what is in those beams and boards.

I have a MM16 great saw. Picked it up used off CL, 4 hp and about 15" of resaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Holcomb View Post
    I think Rich meant G0513X2B model
    Sorry about the mistyping, I did mean the G0513X2B.

I have looked at the Grizzly G0513s (G0513X*) or maybe the G0514X2. I know the latter is a little larger, can support a little larger blade, has an extra horsepower in the motor, and weighs a little more, plus has a crank angle adjust on the table. Resaw height is the same. Do you think it would be worth the extra ~$500 or so over the G0513X* models?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Cannot make a recommendation on a big band Saw. But I would suggest that it might be advisable to invest in a hand-held medal detector, especially since you will be working with old barn wood. Speaking from experience with reclaimed and old lumber, 'ya nevva' know what is in those beams and boards.
    Already picked one up from Rockler. There are a fair number of both old square and newer round nails in these boards. Having to replace jointer inserts or saw blades isn't fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Rich, I know nothing about Grizz bandsaws, so I looked at their website for that number, and I don't see it. See some other 0513's though. Looks like there are 2 and 3 hp models.

Personally I'd find an old machine. Usually enables better features for less $. The Grizz looks fine too though.
    I live in SW MO and that kind of stuff is pretty rare outside of the Northeast. I look at eBay and Craigslist and you guys get all of the good stuff. What we get out here is a small number of beat-up and rusty benchtop Sears and off-brand stuff somebody had lying around in a corner in the basement, garage, or often outside and wanted to get rid of because it's junk. Occasionally somebody will sell something slightly better like a beat-up 14" Delta or a 1980s Grizzly unit. But of course they list it for 90% of what a new one would sell for. The only piece of "old arn" I can find in about a day's drive is at 36" Fay and Eagan bandsaw. Very neat, but lists at way out of my price range ($3200) and probably is too large to fit in my shop (I have an 8 foot door is all) and too heavy to pick up with my tractor's loader (~1100 lb capacity.)
    Last edited by Phillip Gregory; 03-22-2015 at 10:33 PM.

I have a Rikon 14" that will give the resaw capacity you want, and has been great for me not sure about their lager saws. Have read good things about Grizzly saws and can attest to their customer service and the quality of the cyclone I got from them.
    + 1 for your thoughts on the blade being important

I do recommend purchasing used old OWWM if you can find them. Sometimes they take a very long time to materialize depending on your location. The original poster did not indicate a location and some locations have far more availability.

Also, some people prefer to use tools and not work on them. You need to expect to work on a used one. Some folks are good craftsman but not good mechanics. Depends on the individual user.

Personally, all my band saws were purchased used. Everyone of them, including the 24" being rebuilt now has been rebuilt before use. That said, both Grizzly saws you mention are available for use at the showrooms. They were both very impressive last year when used.

I resaw a lot of 8" cedar and maple on my GO555 grizzly with resaw fence and riser. I also agree that the blade is most important. I use a 1/2" 3TPI carbide blade.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Gregory View Post
    I have looked at the Grizzly G0513s (G0513X*)

I live in SW MO and that kind of stuff is pretty rare outside of the Northeast. I look at eBay and Craigslist and you guys get all of the good stuff. What we get out here is a small number of beat-up and rusty benchtop Sears and off-brand stuff somebody had lying around in a corner in the basement, garage, or often outside and wanted to get rid of because it's junk. Occasionally somebody will sell something slightly better like a beat-up 14" Delta or a 1980s Grizzly unit. But of course they list it for 90% of what a new one would sell for. The only piece of "old arn" I can find in about a day's drive is at 36" Fay and Eagan bandsaw. Very neat, but lists at way out of my price range ($3200) and probably is too large to fit in my shop (I have an 8 foot door is all) and too heavy to pick up with my tractor's loader (~1100 lb capacity.)

Actually in my experience, there are a lot of options for used old iron in the old industrial belt of the midwest if you want invest the time looking. Nice Oliver 192 in Fayetteville Arkansas right now for example. I have to pull the top wheel off my 36" Oliver to get into a 7' door, and it weights something over 1000#. I've moved it with a mini skidsteer, most tractors would be fine to move one. Agree with Rich's last post though for sure, old iron isn't for all.