Thread: Unboxing and review of a Mini Panel Raising & 1/8" Side Bead plane from Philly Planes

Unboxing and review of a Mini Panel Raising & 1/8" Side Bead plane from Philly Planes

If you like wooden molding planes you might enjoy this video that I just published. About eight months ago I placed an order with Phil Edwards (Philly Planes, in England) for a mini panel raising and 1/8" side beading plane. In this video I open and unwrap the planes, assemble them, and take a test drive and make some moldings. I then disassemble the beading plane to take a closer look and the quality of the plane and iron.

If you have the bandwidth, watch at 1080 quality for best viewing pleasure.

I have always wondered how well do these types planes work against the grain? It would seem one would need a right and left hand plane.
    The sound of planing is sweet music. Thanks for the video.

He actually sells (or at least he did) a left and right hand version of the panel raising plane.

I think the key to superior molding cuts with a hand plane is stock selection. You'll get into trouble if you use any random piece of wood. Where molding is concerned, your best bet is to use straight grained wood (quarter sawn). Quarter sawn really makes sense because you'll be able to plane in either direction, and the grain pattern won't distract attention from the molding profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    I have always wondered how well do these types planes work against the grain? It would seem one would need a right and left hand plane.
    The sound of planing is sweet music. Thanks for the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Backe View Post
    I think the key to superior molding cuts with a hand plane is stock selection. You'll get into trouble if you use any random piece of wood. Where molding is concerned, your best bet is to use straight grained wood (quarter sawn). Quarter sawn really makes sense because you'll be able to plane in either direction, and the grain pattern won't distract attention from the molding profile.
    Matt Bickford said much the same.
    Molding uses such a small amount of
    material, you can (and really should) be selective.