Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Webber Log Spliting Gun

Yes,black powder is about $20.00 a pint. Wouldn't take long to go through some money just to split wood. Plus,I guess it has been confirmed that people got hurt badly sometimes using these.

Not only did I help set dynamite a a teenager,there were frequently mercury fulminate blasting caps left laying around from all the land we were clearing all the time. They made dandy firecrackers!! Very dangerous to handle. Powerful enough to blow your fingers off,and mercury smoke to inhale too!! What dandy toys. Fortunately,I knew enough to avoid maiming myself,but I did some dangerous stuff as a kid! Hauling steel cable pulling stumps was another job I did. That stuff can snap tight and ruin you. I knew a guy who that happened to.
    Last edited by george wilson; 03-24-2015 at 10:07 PM.

Some additional information about the design and operation of a splitting gun may be found at:

http://gilboahome.com/ghspublication...littingGun.pdf

Re: The link just above; Old Carlton Lewis should have known that the LAST thing you ever carry black powder in is a GLASS BOTTLE. It can set the powder off from static electricity inside the bottle.

Familiarity breeds contempt, and he was lucky. I had a reloading friend that dumped ~1000 rifle primers into a glass jar "to make things handier". He was lucky too. That was a pretty good hand grenade he kept on his workbench.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Seguin View Post
    That is too darn cool. I very badly want to see a video of one of these being used.
    Not exactly the same thing but probably close enough.

Powder Wedge 2.mov: http://youtu.be/AkcsJUQG4cI
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....