Thread: Chair design

Chair design

Over past few weeks, I have been developing a design for 6 kitchen chairs to be made from cherry. This is my first attempt at making chairs. The FWW compilation has good information and Jeff Miller's Chairmaking and Design is on back order.

Most of my recent furniture has been inspired by the Greene Bros and this project will also include some of their design elements. Yet, I intend to have scooped wooden seats, curved crest rail and steam bent back splat (why not go whole hog?). I have watched numerous YouTube videos on chairmaking and would like to incorporate some Maloof inspired joinery, especially for the seat to back leg attachment.

I have mocked up many parts from poplar before moving forward with the cherry. Are there other good sources of information that I should get or strategies suggested on how to proceed?

Thanks
    David

Have not seen your design, but there is a very good plan in issue 231 March 2015 of Wood magazine. It partners well with a hutch from issue 229 and a dining table from issue 230.

See it here. http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwork...ng-room-chair/

All in the suite are Maloof-ish, with the hutch having some James Krenov elements. Cherry was used. One could do ebony pegs to make it a Greene&Greene/Maloof/Krenov hybrid, and even add some square through-holes somewhere and add in Charles Rennie Mackintosh elements.

The v-split backsplat for the chair was bandsawn-curved, but you can certainly steam it if you want. The seat is scooped, and the plan shows how to do it with a router and sled arrangement.

Blog Entries
    The blacker house chair may offer you some inspiration.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Nice chair. Elegant lines. Thanks! This project does make me feel like Brian's tagline. Much to learn along the way.