Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sneak peak : Latest backsaw build.

Thanks Don. A makers mark is stamped on the back side of the brass back.

Stewié;

Another backsaw finished.

Completed some test cuts with the saw. Super.

Time to move on to the next project.

Stewie;

Hi Gentleman. I would appreciate your thoughts on how the quality of craftsmanship within this backsaw compares to that of other boutique saw makers work you have seen in the past.

regards Stewie;

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Hi Gentleman. I would appreciate your thoughts on how the quality of craftsmanship within this backsaw compares to that of other boutique saw makers work you have seen in the past.

regards Stewie;
    I'm no gentleman but i think the handle looks better than the ones i see. I have seen you write about having a sharp transition from the flat face to the rounded portions and i fancy that as well. Do you plane the flats after everything is shaped? Also, i stumbled across something you wrote on another site about low hung dovetail saw handles. It was problematic designing one that did not hang below the narrow saw plate. A naive question about that; why does it matter if the handle hangs below the tooth line?

I like the chamferring on the brass as well. Very smart looking saw.

Hi Noah. In response to your 2nd question, Isaac Smith has covered this topic quite well and is worth reading. http://www.blackburntools.com/blog/c...d-saw-handles/

As to the 1st question, I then lightly sand the flat faces of the handle using 400 grit that's adhered to a glass plate surface.

regards Stewie;

Thanks for the link Stewie. It confirmed my natural inclination to use a low angle without having any experience with a high angle. A high angle just looks uncomfortable and i feel like i am wanting to slightly lift the teeth using low hung panel saws to start cuts so i don't think i'd want that downward force of a high angle but maybe because they are lighter one may wat a little down force.

What i read from you was that because of the thin plate a low hung handle design was problematic. I assumed this meant that you did not want the handle below the toothline. You wrote that you had to shorten the bottom inside portion (horn?) which further made me think that was the issue. I saw on Isaac's site that a handle for a wider hand required a deepr plate. I just do not understand the issue and why you can not just have the bottom of the handle be below the plate. Here is a picture of what i am trying to express:IMG_0772_edited-2.jpg

Is there a problem with the lower handle?

I am also curious as to how you put holes in the plate.I assume you use already hardened 1095.would this work?:

It is at about the 25 minute mark that he makes the holes.

Finally how do you cut it? Can those abrasive cut off wheels for angle grinders be used? I was worried about heat.

Thanks, Noah

Hi Noah. Where the bottom of the handle hangs below the tooth line there are difficulties in using the backsaw with a traditional bench hook. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=b...2&ved=0CDwQsAQ

Where there is already enough weight forward of the handle to complement downward pressure to the saw teeth, I personally favour the use of a more comfortable lower hang angle on my backsaw builds. Other saw makers may differ in opinion.

Next;

The method I use for cutting 1095 saw plate. For saw plate greater than 0.025, the Beverly Shears are better suited. http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=179784

For drilling through saw plate I use a Carbide Spade Bit; http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=180920

Tooling used by Isaac Smith to install his saw bolt assemblies; http://www.blackburntools.com/blog/s...dle-part-viii/

regards Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 04-12-2015 at 6:34 AM.

Solid proportions.

You sawbucks are making things too pretty.
    I beat up my tools.

I would be hesitant to use something so handsome.

Kudos

It's gorgeous...but why the numbers?

Stewie,

In response to your questions about your latest build, in comparison to other boutique makers, I find yours at least as attractive, if not better looking. I think you have outdid yourself with the handle on this one (not saying your others were not great, but this one really stands out).

T.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

A lovely saw Stewie.
    Really crisp details with beautiful fit and finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    It's gorgeous...but why the numbers?
    Hi Matt. The numbers marked in pencil allow me to refit each of the saw bolts in the same position on the handle. Its should not be considered overly important to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    Stewie,

In response to your questions about your latest build, in comparison to other boutique makers, I find yours at least as attractive, if not better looking. I think you have outdid yourself with the handle on this one (not saying your others were not great, but this one really stands out).

T.
    Hi Tony. I appreciate your time in providing me with that feedback.

regards Stewie;

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wittrock View Post
    A lovely saw Stewie.
    Really crisp details with beautiful fit and finish.
    Thank you Jeff. Appreciate your feedback.

regards Stewie;

Great looking tool Stewie. It looks like it is ready to go to work and not sit on the shelf. I would guess that it cuts great with your tooth set up and the hang angle. Do you try to line up the push point of the handle with the stiff part of the saw? I think that is a good thing. I'm no expert but it is a lot easier for me if I don't feel like I'm on top of the saw when using.
    Jim