Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flatwork vs. Roundwork - a Philosophical Question of Sorts

Flatwork vs. Roundwork - a Philosophical Question of Sorts

While I was on the treadmill this morning, I found myself thinking about the skills needed to excel at woodworking - both flatwork and roundwork. I then began questioning which of the two held the greater challenge, and thought it might make for an interesting discussion.

I am well aware that both of these encompass large swaths of talents and skills and that each has its own subset of endeavors and interests. However, if the discussion is limited to flatwork as a whole and round work as a whole, my question is, which pursuit is the more difficult and/or challenging to master?
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

For me, it was economical. I couldn't get enough $ for the flat work I did, mostly Shaker type tables and dressers. Turning was way better as I am much faster at turning. With the flatwork, I put more time into design than I did in actual making.

robo hippy

I've done flat work and I have turned and I like turning better.

But which, in your opinion, is more difficult to master?
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

On occasion I still do flat work, but it is because I have to. I turn because I want to. As far as which one takes more skill that is like comparing apples to oranges. At their highest level they both take a lot of skill. It would be hard to say if one takes more skill than the other. I do fell that at the beginning level that turning takes more skill. It doesn't take practice to run something threw the planner or table saw, but it does take a bit of practice before one turns their first well shaped bowl. Like I said this is at the beginning level. At the advance stages, think about it. How many people in the world can turn large hollow forms with small openings free hand like David Ellisworth.
    Jack
    Last edited by Jack Mincey; 03-23-2015 at 12:24 PM.

You can make either one challenging or as easy as you can. I'm enjoying my lathe more and more as I can have instant gratification on some projects.

7. I also think it is apples to oranges comparrison. I still love flatwork........all the different joinery to master, like dovetails, mortise and tenon, sliding dovetails, quality miters......then techniques like veneering with vacuum chamber, stile & rail/ raised panel doors, bookmatching grain, and getting a superb finish on a large piece like a table......takes real skill.

I would say that to build something like a Pennsylvania highboy, or Jefferson secretary, definitely takes more skill than turning a bowl! When you get into adding embellisment like Gordon Pembridge does, and bring a piece to a high art level, then the carving, painting skills kick into overdrive.

For the most part, high end furniture takes more skill than the typical turnings that we are accustomed to seeing.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    I would say that to build something like a Pennsylvania highboy, or Jefferson secretary, definitely takes more skill than turning a bowl! When you get into adding embellisment like Gordon Pembridge does, and bring a piece to a high art level, then the carving, painting skills kick into overdrive.

For the most part, high end furniture takes more skill than the typical turnings that we are accustomed to seeing.
    Contradictory statements, Roger Or maybe not... don't compare high-end flatwork (Jefferson secretary) with low-end turned (a simple bowl). I have seen flatwork that I couldn't hope to recreate if given a lifetime. And the same is true of turned work.

Even the most stalwart of one side could be impressed by the other, given the right woodworker.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I have seen several turners that do both (myself included) and excel at one or the other. Which one depends on the person. Both can have fairly low level entries and very high level peaks.

Additionally, when talking flatwork are we talking highly milled furniture with mechanical joints (Kreg?) or hand-worked and carved masterpieces?

Turning are we talking simple bowls and spindle shapes, or more complex pieces like fine boxes or ornaments? A lot of good bowl turners are lost when it comes to finials.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Technically, I say turning is easier. It's variations of the same move.

Aesthetically, I say turning is harder. Turning to me is like the blues: it's variations of the same progressions, which makes the color and soul the artist imparts all the more important.

Also, you really have to distinguish between flat machine work and flat handwork.

Flat handwork is really hard to master technically. It's more like playing an instrument. Turning is like writing a book or playing chess: rules are easy to master, creation hard.

For me, with both, the more I know about them, the more I realize I have yet to discover.

robo hippy

This part of your post seems critical to the discussion: "the skills needed to excel at woodworking - both flatwork and roundwork".
    I believe that the basic talent required is the same.
    I do both, fair at flat-work; better with turning. I used to think that flat-work required more precision. That would be true if comparing high end joinery to turning bowls but not if comparing free-form furniture to segmented turning. Some people will be better at free-form work and some better at precision measuring/cutting; both have their place in either flat-work or turning. Leaving out equipment requirements, what you practice is what you get good at.

I do both flat and round work *and sadly more of the flat stuff for the last 1/2 year) and think the comparison in wrong. With the lathe, we spend hours and hours and months and years perfecting the techniques and skill set. With Flat work we generally do NOT spend that much time on one machine or tool. The comparison would be closer to scroll saw workers and turners. Both concentrate on one machine and attempt to master that one. With most flat work, we utilize 1-10 different tools and while we may be good at all.... we are generally not the master of any.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I think they both have their challenges and skills to be mastered. Unless someone has mastered both to an equally high level, it would be difficult to determine which is more difficult.

Each of us have different natural abilities and different learning abilities that makes it difficult to make a fair analysis IMO.

At all levels in both modalities, there are skills to be learned.

What someone "enjoys" isn't necessarily that at which one can excel. I enjoyed playing and singing music but made a lot better living in electronics that I am sure I would ever have done as a professional musician.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

A good way to evaluate this might be to look historical. How long did it take for a cabinet maker to go from Apprentice to Journeyman, how long a woodturner?
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).