Thread: New Shop "family" member (Gave up on the new Griz)

Cuero, Texas--Not too far from the third coast.

New Shop "family" member (Gave up on the new Griz)

Had received my postcard from Grizzly that said "30 day notice" on one side and info on the back telling me they weren't sure when the machine would even arrive. I had been perusing CL and a nice lathe came up--email and a phone call or two was all that I needed to get an appt. for Saturday. Made the trip to Houston (kinda in the neighborhood) and dang if that machine didn't jump into my trailer. Long wet (rained all day) drive home that was compounded by a 20 mile traffic jam on I 10--had to use alternate routing.
    It's a Laguna 18/47 that is less than 2yrs old and prolly has less than 4 hrs of use. Should be able to turn whatever I want. Already have put a spindle adapter on since all my chucks are 1x8---it's originally 1 1/4 x8.
    Fired it up today and it's smooth, like that variable speed and has plenty of torque. Even used an out of balance blank and had no shimmy or shake at all. I'm happy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Using Texas woods--especially Mesquite, the "Queen" of woods.

Get new inserts for your chucks rather than the spindle adapter. They work a LOT better. The adapter puts the work that much farther away from the headstock, and vibration goes up. Been there done that.... Have fun with the new lathe.

robo hippy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Get new inserts for your chucks rather than the spindle adapter. They work a LOT better. The adapter puts the work that much farther away from the headstock, and vibration goes up. Been there done that.... Have fun with the new lathe.

robo hippy
    What Reed said.

That looks basically like the Jet 1642, though I'd typically choose Laguna over Jet for the (possibly waning?) quality control. Should be pretty stable for about anything you could throw on it.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

great looking lathe. Looks like my Grizz 733 except for the color. Your going to love it.

5. Exact same unit as the Grizzly G0698........different paint scheme. It has a 2 hp D/C brushless motor on it. My G0698 has been a superb performer for over 5 years......the reason I am Going with the bigger G0766.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 03-23-2015 at 1:23 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Great looking machine there David. It looks pretty new from your pictures and I'm sure your going to be happy turning on that. I got a post card too from Grizzly, and it's not that I
    couldn't have waited, it's the not knowing date. They still don't know and June 23 is just a projected date, not a sure date. My new Jet was shipped last Thursday (16x42 / 2 hp) and
    should show up sometime this week. Chips could be flying this weekend..... Enjoy your new lathe David!
    Question: On your platform for the cement bags or sand bags, I saw a platform all the way across the bottom so the you can orient the bags side to side rather than end to end. Is your set up temporary
    or you need the foot room?
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sawmillcreek.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=136853&dateline=14260 43453[/SIGPIC]
    They say "Riding a bike is good excercise", so I bought two of them, Harley Davidson Ultra Classic LTD, Big Dog K-9 Chopper

Congrats on your new lathe! Looking forward to seeing what you turn with it! Have fun!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Congratulations on your new lathe. I've eyed that lathe before, so I'll be interested in how it works out for you. I currently have a Rikon Midi (12X40 with bed extension). I'd like VS and a bigger swing. If you do stick with the spindle adapter, I'll be curious about your success. One of my chucks is a Nova Midi, which is dedicated 1X8, so a spindle adapter would be required. My guess is I'd include it with the lathe if I sold the lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Reep View Post
    Congratulations on your new lathe. I've eyed that lathe before, so I'll be interested in how it works out for you. I currently have a Rikon Midi (12X40 with bed extension). I'd like VS and a bigger swing. If you do stick with the spindle adapter, I'll be curious about your success. One of my chucks is a Nova Midi, which is dedicated 1X8, so a spindle adapter would be required. My guess is I'd include it with the lathe if I sold the lathe.
    I have a Powermatic 3520B and a little Nova Comet II. I have my larger chucks with 1-1/4" and smaller at 1" and use adapters both up and down depending on need and have not had a problem. I have the insert reducers to go from 1-1/2 to 1-1/4 and 1-1/4 to 1 and those are also used with faceplates. Adapters give you a lot of flexibility, and can be even stacked to provide more headstock clearance. There may be some increase in vibration, but it usually is not a factor for the normal turnings.

Cuero, Texas--Not too far from the third coast.
    @Steve Huffman--Nothing particular about the bag placement. Had a 2x12 that was the right length, so the bags went on--the best fit. The foot room just another plus.
    Using Texas woods--especially Mesquite, the "Queen" of woods.