Thread: Welding Engineer Again

Welding Engineer Again

I was just named the WSPE (Welding Standard Practice Engineer) for NASA Langley Research Center. I've been out here as a Quality Assurance Consultant for R&D and Flight projects for the past 7 years. For about 34 years prior to that I supervised the Non Destructive testing/ Quality Assurance department for a local company which included supervising the welding program. I've established and qualified more welding procedures and welders than I care to think about. I guess my past has finally caught up me. Don't know if I should consider this a feather in my cap, a thorn in my shoe ,or any combination of things in between. At any rate it does greatly improve job security for which I am grateful.

Jim, that is a feather in your cap. Just wanted to make sure there was no doubt in your mind.

But adding-up those years (34 + 7), it would seem like retirement can't be too far away? How long are you going to keep at it?

Congratulations Jim! High praise in the form of a feather in your cap!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Excellent news comrade !!!
    I know that your the best man for the job and with the big raise in salary you can take me to lunch

Jim and I worked together for many years on the NASA Langley Recertification contract and I can't remember how many years we have been friends.

Congratulations!! Did you know Chuck Hughes? He was a great friend of mine. He probably left NASA before you started, so you might not have known him, but he was President of the National Weldors Association (or something close to that name). When they handed out pink slips after the Apollo program ended, they wanted him to stay, but he left with the others. There is stuff sitting on the Moon that he not only welded, but figured out how to weld.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 03-23-2015 at 7:31 PM.

Congratulations!

Congratulations, Jim!

Congratulations! That is an accomplishment to be proud of.

Way to go! I'm sure you deserve the feather, probably a whole headdress full of them! Congratulations indeed!

Thank's guys! When I said 'Thorn in my shoe" it was for good reason. My predecessor retired somewhat suddenly and left the program in disarray with some things undone so I have quite a bit of picking up to do. AS-9100 audit coming up.

Phil, I will be 65 this Sept. Some not so good financial decisions a while back pretty much leaves me with only SS to retire on so looks like I'll be here a while. I just thank the good Lord for every morning I can get up and come to work!
    Keith, Big fat raise??? Do you know something I don't? Let me know when they let you leave Gloucester and we will meet for lunch.
    Tom, I did not know a Chuck Hughes and I have been doing NDT/ welding inspection work out here since the mid 70's. Did know a Jack Hughes in the Materials Processing and Development section.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Creech View Post
    Thank's guys! When I said 'Thorn in my shoe" it was for good reason. My predecessor retired somewhat suddenly and left the program in disarray with some things undone so I have quite a bit of picking up to do. AS-9100 audit coming up.

Phil, I will be 65 this Sept. Some not so good financial decisions a while back pretty much leaves me with only SS to retire on so looks like I'll be here a while. I just thank the good Lord for every morning I can get up and come to work!
    Keith, Big fat raise??? Do you know something I don't? Let me know when they let you leave Gloucester and we will meet for lunch.
    Tom, I did not know a Chuck Hughes and I have been doing NDT/ welding inspection work out here since the mid 70's. Did know a Jack Hughes in the Materials Processing and Development section.
    I guess Chuck worked at Goddard, but I thought maybe your paths might have crossed at some point. You would have remembered.