Thread: Will Byrd Shellix for Grizzly Fit Enlon 20" Planer?

Will Byrd Shellix for Grizzly Fit Enlon 20" Planer?

I am hoping someone has experience putting a Byrd Shellix head in a Enlon brand planer.

I have done multiple searches but only found that Enlon (+/- 1995) became Star and then went out of business, but that most were similar to Grizzly machines.

Before spending $900 on the new head I hope to hear from someone that has worked on the 20" Enlon Planer (maybe model EN-PN20?).

I asked Grizzly, but so far they have just sent me the Byrd Shellix application list/table from their catalog and website, which does not mention Enlon.

Thanks.

Did you ask Byrd?

contact Byrd they may have a dimension drawing you can look at. If they do not have it you might be able to send the your head to duplicate.

Do you have a link or web address for Byrd Tool?

I found a physical address and phone number for them (came up on White Pages and BBB), but the web site address I found (http://www.byrdtool.com/) does not work.

Thanks.

www.shelixheads.com
    Piece of cake!

I wonder if it'd be worth your while to contact Holbren. Sometimes their prices are a little better than direct from Byrd. Brian used to offer 10% discounts to forum users, something like SMC10, don't know if he's still doing that or not.

http://holbren.com/byrd-tool-corp./

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lizek View Post
    www.shelixheads.com
    Piece of cake!
    From the above website: "We are a Canadian company specializing in importing and international sales of specialty woodworking tools and are not to be confused with the manufacturer of SHELIX heads, Byrd Tool."

They do not list Enlon prodcuts in their extensive application list.

It appears that Byrd Tool may not maintain a website.

Grizzly sent me the following message, which includes a 1-800 number for Byrd:

Dear Mr. Ball,

The information from our Technical Support Department is that you would need to contact Byrd Tool to get their advice on which other planers this cutterhead would fit, as we don't have any further information. 800-441-2973 is the phone number that we have for Byrd Tool.

Due to poor condition (described on CL as "Excellent, little used" I passed on the Enlon planer, so no longer need to run this down, thanks to all.
    Last edited by Bob Ball; 03-24-2015 at 2:04 PM.