Thread: Time to try Segmented Turning?

Time to try Segmented Turning?

I just received a box of wood from a friend. It is about 35 pieces of mahogany (probably - maybe walnut). Each is just under 1" x 1" x 2'. Unless I find a project with a whole lot of spindles, I think it is time to try segmented turning. What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Brian,
    Look at making one of these. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd8...002yQSKu-o1Vog
    Start with 12 segments using a 30-60 triangle in a ring and use scrap wood. Thinking it was not as easy as shown in his other video's I started with a sled of mdf, and two non moveable fences( just screwed to mdf. Neither fence needs to be perpendicular to the blade. Then all you need to to get perfect 12 segment rings is just cut from one fence and then the other with changing or flipping in any one. Watch the video's its easier the my explanation. Take away from this unreadable explanation is try two fixed fences with 30- 60 triangle between them.

Bob

seems a good use of the wood..give 'er a go, and post & share.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Any guesses on what kind of wood this is?Walnut? Some kind of mahogany?

Sure looks like walnut. I just started segmenting. Makes my head hurt but very satisfying. Good luck. Bob
    The older I get the better I was.
    Member Valley Woodturners, Ottawa

I found some nice light colored curly maple for contrasting patterns. I have some other things to do first, but I am looking forward to this.

I was given some wood looked just like it and was told it was African Mahogany. It was pallet wood from the Goodyear tire plant in Akron, Ohio. My guess is it came out of the plant around 1950 or so.