Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Store Your Hammers?

How Do You Store Your Hammers?

I am trying once again to get the mess I call my shop in order. I have plenty of hammers, maybe 20 or more. I have never had a good way to store them. I would rather not drill a hole in the handles to hang them. I don't have enough wall space to cover the wall with hammers on nails or pegs. I'm thinking something like a rack of some kind to hang them in. I need to see the head so I know what I'm reaching for, but I don't need them on display. How do you store yours?

Thanks,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    How do you store yours?
    Mine are in a pile on my workbench, but I need something like this too. Thinking a rack like for screwdrivers but with much bigger holes.

On the right side - Top is a pair of wooden mallets. Below is a pair of Japanese chisel hammers. Out of date photo - the lower rack has been replaced with an expanded version that holds 3 hammers - added a cross-peen in there now, but you get the idea - the heads are held by a plate with slots in it. Easy to see each hammer, easy to grab the correct handle and to replace it when done.

A008.jpg
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

You want a hammer till. Think of a 1x12 mounted at a 45 degree angle with a 1x2 mounted on edge 2 inches or so down from the top of the shelf. Haven't seen many. My uncle had one ~3' wide with 3 shelves on top of a conventional set of shelves. His handles hung over the edge of the shelf to make them easy to grab. Leave enough space between the shelves to make it easy to inset and retrieve the heads. My blacksmiths hammers hang in a continuous slot built into a mobile tool table. Easy to see both ends but hard to retrieve because each handle has to be lifted out of the slot.

I've got, maybe 15. I keep them all in the top drawer of the lower cabinet of the Chraftsman roller. They're easy enough to access, but for the last few years, I think I have too many, especially with a recent battery powered 18g nailer purchase. I find I use a 16 oz hammer mostly, but not for nails, but for clamping panels or other glue-ups. Does anyone actually use a hammer to bang in nails anymore?

Twenty hammers? First thing you do is get rid of at least fifteen of them. Then you have a manageable storage problem.

I use two long pegboard hooks spaced about 2" apart. This lets me put 4-5 hammers per pair of hooks. The most used hammers end up near the front where they are easiest to find. Sledgehammers go near the back.

Steve

My hammers, and a number of other tools, hang on a Wall Control metal pegboard. I got tired of using regular pegboard to hang tools. The pegs always seem to come out, and I hate those little plastic clips some hooks use. Just a poor solution. The Wall Control system ises metal hooks that snap/click into vertical slits on metal panels. The panels also have holes, so you can add regular pegboard hooks. They also come in a variety of colors. Besides hooks, there are shelves, and other assorted items to facilitate storage. The panels are sized to screw into studs on 16" centers. They also have formed edges to provide built-in standoff for hook clearance.

I'd prefer to have a nice wooden custom tool holder setup, but I figure a custom tool storage rack just is not high on my priority list. , I'd rather be making projects that aren't for the shop, but for family or friends. (My wife has me doing home remodeling, so shop time that is not remodeling-related is golden.) The Wall Control website will show you all the cool little hooks and other items they have. I actually bought a starter set from Amazon for a pretty decent price. One of these days I'll probably order some extra hooks, but the starter set came with a really good assortment. Check them out:

http://www.wallcontrol.com/

I use these on my pegboard wall.
    http://m.harborfreight.com/pack-of-2...oks-65473.html
    I think it's the same as I have, and holds a set of three mallets (from HF). I think any longer and it would be too inconvenient to get the one closest to the wall.
    Do you really need 20 hammers? Are there a lot of duplicates or are they all unique for different purposes?

If you have room for a second hand dresser, or mechanic's toolchest -
    those work for me. I'm with JB above, people like us keep too many.

I like about the same weight for driving nails and chisels (20 oz).
    It's pretty rare that I need anything larger or smaller.

I suggest you put a piece of masking tape over the face of each.
    Put the current date when you apply the tape.

If you haven't pulled the tape off in a year - sell the hammer.

I have one hammer an old wood shafted 16oz hammer, and one rubber mallet. I made hangers for them that go on my french cleat system.

I currently use an old card file cabinet to store some tools including the hammers. The problem is I can lay them in neatly, but when I close the drawer they shift. The next time I try to open the drawer, a handle gets caught up and the drawer won't open.

As for my quantity, I didn't buy all of them, Some were handed down to me. I have good straight and curved claw hammers. Then I have a couple of old beaters, for that purpose (and to loan out). Several ball peen hammers, several rubber, again good and beaters. A couple of brass hammers. The list goes on...

John

Nice storage system.

We all need rapid access to our slide rules.

And in addition to our slide rules....several "I voted" stickers. Well done Kent!
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

Mine are currently on a shelf...I don't have wall space for more "traditional" hammer storage by hanging, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...